CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Meet Henri
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:42 pm 

Hi Everyone :)

I have been visiting CEN for the past couple of years to read stories and all that this forum has to offer.
Today, I thought I would share the story of my best pal, Henri.

Henri is the first dog I could call my own and I had purchased him from a nice family in the rural suburbs of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
This was more than 7 years ago. Around the age of 1.5 years old, Henri began to have random seizures (not clustered) every now and then.
After a check up with a neurologist in my city, the doctor had provided us with a rather simple prescription of keppra (250mg dose, when a seizure occurs).
This seemed to have worked a little and within the next month or two, he may have had 1 seizure every two weeks or so. As time progressed,
these seizures began to cluster from 2 or 3 to upwards of 5 or 6 at the end of two years. Further appointments with our neurologist came to the
conclusion of doubling the keppra dose. Mind you, this was after two different times Henri had to spend at the vet in overnight care with a diazepam drip.

A few months later, Henri's seizures came to a tipping point and he had an episode of severe cluster seizures.
Unfortunately, at this time, Henri's neurologist was away on vacation and there was no secondary neurologist to assist in the situation. After the vet's
attempt to help Henri didn't succeed (about 5 days in hospital), they had advised me to visit the nearest neurologist which was in Montreal (a two hour drive away).
We hopped in the car and were on our way while Henri was slightly sedated and bandaged up to keep his IV in place. I will never forget that day because it was
rather upsetting and it felt like a shot in the dark not knowing what ti expect once we arrived.

The neurology team at Centre DMV in Montreal were everything we could ask for and so much more, waiting to take Henri out of my arms as we arrived.
I chatted with the doctor for a while, examining our options and what to do next. In the end, we had agreed upon an MRI and spinal tap.
After another week of Henri's stay in the hospital, it was time to pick him up and he was ready to come home. Unfortunately the MRI and spinal tap
results came back inconclusive but we were given a lot of information and a new routine of medications.

Over the past couple of years, Henri has been in and out of the hospital a few times from cluster seizures that would persist even with the use of clonazepam.
Variations of his medication doses has gone up and down to accommodate the addition of the zonisamide about 3 years ago. It's been a roller coaster for
Henri but he is strong and comes back fighting every time.

Henri has made very good friends with the neurology team in Montreal with semi-annual blood work for his phenobarb levels, zonisamide bloodwork every two years and
and annual neurology check up once a year. Good thing he's always up for a road trip.

I haven't ever shared his entire story like this but it feels good to do so with other who are in this as well.
I may have left a few things out but if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Thanks
Stanley

Keppra: 500mg TID
Pheno: 45mg BID
Zonisamide: 150mg BID
Diazepam (rectal): 5mg/ml, 5ml dosage if seizure occurs

Post subject: Re: Meet Henri
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:35 pm 

Hi Stanley and welcome to the boards. I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this with your precious Henri, it's so difficult to watch them seize but even harder when things seem to be getting worse. Happy to hear that you've got a great team with a neuro that seem to care.

Last seizure: 06/27/16