Lots of questions

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Cicada

Lots of questions

Post by Cicada » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Folks
Long time German Shorthaired Pointer owner but it looks like my latest pup acquisition (now 3 year old intact GSP) has come down with a serious seizure problem he has had 3 in the last 6 months 2 minor ones, one more major ( the middle one) lasting about 2 min. I have tried to pin down the situation that triggers them but the only common factor seems to be that I am not present.
The one big concern is when should I be looking at starting him on a medication and if neutering him will have a positive or negative effect on his seizures.

Thanks
Grant
Great forum!

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Lots of questions

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:09 am

Hi Grant,
If you think that separation anxiety may be a trigger, you might want to try a Bach Flower Remedy called Rescue Remedy. Just a couple of drops in water or directly in their mouths and it helps some dogs to calm down. If you can't find it in a local store it's available online. We've used remedies like this for Jake and he's responded well.

I hope this helps.
Lynne

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks I will keep that on the list. At this point I am grasping at all the straws I can fit into both hand and hoping they just don't get any worse.

Grant

narney

Post by narney » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi I too have just posted about my GSP! And there was me saying it is a breed that doesn't usually suffer from seizures! Or so I read... like you we have tried to pin down a trigger but never found the answer, my dogs behaviour is exactly the same there is no indication a fit is about to start, she just goes straight into it...we tried Bch flower remedies as suggested, we also tried valarian a herbal remedy for calming, we used a dapp infusion in the house to keep the area calm, we stick to the same walk and routine leaving the house ...she hadn't had a fit for at least 4/5 years and then out of the blue for no reason had a massive one yesterday... good luck let me know if you find out anything, i take it you are in the US? Do you work your GSP?
Regards

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:09 am

Just north of the border, yes I hunt them every fall grouse pheasants huns and quail. This is my first GSP that has any chronic illness. #8

Grant