CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Meet Hank
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:29 am 

Hank is my 8 year old daschund l who has been having seizures since he was a year and a half. We adopted him at 1 year and 3 months. He was found starved and nothing but bones and actually had lesions on his body from the bones pressing. He since has been a healthy loveable baby besides his epilepsy.

When he first started having his seizures he was put on phenobarb and potassium bromide. He had been increased up on a high dose of pheno ( Can't really remember it's been so long) . He was then switched to Keppra last May 2016. He started having more seizures. In December 2016, he had started cluster seizures and his keppra was increased. He did well until June 14 he had a couple seizures which was not unusual and then on the 16th he started having clusters and before I could get him to the vet he went into a status seizure. I live 45 minutes from our vets office. By the time we got him to the vet his temperature had gotten so high the thermometer only read high and after some fluids it read 107. He stayed in the vets and even went home with the vet for a week. We've brought him home. He does have some brain damage. He paced for a week straight and we would actually have to put him in his crate to make him rest. He was put on KBR one and a half in the morning and zonisamide twice a day 100 mg each dose. After 1 week being home he stopped pacing and now will only let us pet him a little and will bite us if we try to pick him up. We took him for his check up on July 3rd and the vet recommended Euthanizing him. We are not ready to give up on him yet. We asked her to try other stuff. She told us to give him a week and we will know. She went ahead and put him on prednisone and a fatty acid. Just after a day of medication we're able to pet and put a leash on him just no picking up. He acts like he is sore and keeps his tail tucked under him all the time. My mother in law had read on zonisamide that it is a sulfa drug. A lot of people have reactions to sulfa drugs that causes bladder pain and infections. I'm giving him another day and then will contact his vet to see what she thinks. Has anyone else had this issue?

Weenie- 12 y/o daschund and Beagle mix
Dudley - 4 y/o daschund
Hank - 8 y/o epileptic. Currently on zonisamide 100 mg 2x day, kbr 250 and a half 1x, Prednisone and Fatty Acid.
First seizure : 11/7/10
Last : 6/18/2017
Status seizure 6/16/17

Post subject: Re: Meet Hank
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:53 pm 

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.
I'm a huge fan of second opinions from another vet if you can. Or if it's possible a neurologist. They deal with canine epilepsy regularly and may be able to pinpoint what's happening.
After what Hank has been through it may take time to return back to his personality. We haven't used the combination you're using but it can take time for them to adjust to Kbr.
Keep us posted.
Lynne

Post subject: Re: Meet Hank
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 am 

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. A second opinion is usually a good idea especially if they're a neurologist, but depending on where you live a neurologist may not be feasible for you. Only you can decide if it's time to let go and please don't let someone talk you into it if you don't think the time is right. I've lost several dogs over the last few years and I knew by looking at them when the time was right for them. Wish you and Hank all the best.

Last seizure: 06/27/16