CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Our Moses
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:26 pm 

Many thanks for acceptance to this network. One of our saint bernards Moses, who is 2 3/4yrs old started cluster seizures nearly 2 weeks ago. He was averaging a seizure every 2 hours over a 48 hour period trying to get them under control and he was at the vet hospital for 5 days. We have been registered breeders for nearly 24 hours and this has absolutely devastated us. Firstly for the big guy who is such a sweetheart, he is still undergoing tests trying to identify the cause. If we can't find the cause then we have to accept the grim reality that it's most likely genetic. His mum was an import from Europe. She had two litters. After she had her second litter the littlest pupper from her first litter started having seizures. This was, at it its worst, 2 seizures a day, she is now well controlled on medn/. The owners ran the full panel of test and found no cause. We have watched and waited, the other 9 siblings have not reported seizures so far and have just turned 4. It is very unfortunate that mom was bred a second time. We have Moses litter mate Penny and neither will be bred, the rest have gone to family homes and all are neutered or spayed. This has been a terrible blow, we don't breed often, our saints are of high quality, we pay attention to health issues but someone, somewhere has bred an Epi saint and not told anyone about it. There is no point me asking because I wont get the truth. It has to be the mom. The sires were unrelated and we have had the boys bloodlines for years and years. I am not sure what I am trying to say really, I am busy reading and learning all I can and I am in fully agree that if breeders did the right thing most of us would not be needing this group :(

Post subject: Re: Our Moses
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 pm 

I'm so sorry about Moses. It is true that if more breeders did what you are doing most of us wouldn't have needed to join here. I just wanted to thank you for stepping up and doing the right thing.
Breeders that don't need to be held accountable but unfortunately AKC doesn't do their job and they get away with it.
I wish you luck getting his seizures under control.
Take Care,
Lynne

Post subject: Re: Our Moses
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:59 am 

Hi Lynne, yes the AKC should, we are in Australia and our ANKC is no better, policing it is a problem, we are supposed to be ethical enough to do that ourselves. some are, many aren't. We are currently slowly reducing Moses Keppra, it breaks my heart seeing him with such a confused look in his eyes, wobbling all over the place, we have been assured this will improve over time.