Coordination and Depth Perception Issues

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

sarrae012

Coordination and Depth Perception Issues

Post by sarrae012 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi everyone. This forum has helped me by reading through everyone's experiences. I have an (almost) 2 year old Border Collie mix who has been having seizures since he's been 8 months. I haven't taken him to a neurologist yet, but it was suggested after his last few seizures were clusters. He's on Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide twice a day. I'd like to know if your dog is more clumsy than usual? From what I can remember, my dog has been pretty clumsy. It seems that he doesn't have good coordination and his depth perception is a tad off. He sometimes falls down stairs because he trips and he runs into things. He's not a danger to himself, because he can easily and quickly compensate making him not ever injure himself. But I'm afraid one day he's going to break a bone. He's very active and has so much energy, but when I throw a toy, he just goes for it and falls practically every time. He has seizures about once a month, and we are still trying to get his medication right. His vet did a bunch of muscle movement tests and voluntary reaction tests and she said he was pretty normal. Can anyone relate to this? I thought when he was little it was just puppy things, all puppies are clumsy, but he's never really grown out of it. I'm also wondering if it has anything to do with his medication. We haven't changed it in months, and the vet said she would only show symptoms like that for a few days to a couple of weeks.

SpencerBhumi

Re: Coordination and Depth Perception Issues

Post by SpencerBhumi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi sarrae,

Welcome to this forum but I’m sorry you need to be here.

Spencer ran the course of most medications but finished his last few years fairly stable on big doses pheno and KBrom twice daily.

Unfortunately this medication regimen left Spencer quite sedated, discoordinated & clumsy and he would still fit about 2 – 3 weekly (I was happy if we got to 4 weeks seizure free).

Spencer would trip going up & down stairs – we got to the point of assisting him down the two steps from the back door and we otherwise used the front door (luckily the big stairs were just occasionally at one particular beach, where we almost had to carry him). And our once couch-loving puppy could barely clamber onto it and would invariable stumble off it. When playing ball it would mostly roll beyond him and he would sniff around where he was standing (I wonder if there was some visual impairment going on here also). His vim & vitality had long gone and if he did chase a toy he would sometimes stumble but when he caught it he would quickly lose interest and drop it. Sometimes walking through doorways or past furniture he would miss-judge it and brush into it.

Unfortunately this disease and its medications creates a different dog and a ‘new normal’ than we’d dreamed of having. Along with providing for any dependent pet, our epi-dogs now have the added need for extra safety and protection; ‘seizure safeing’ their surroundings particularly for the post ictal period, and ‘general safeing’ to accommodate their changed behavior and abilities (preventing food theft (eating anything), and mobility concerns were our main issues with Spencer).

We were caught between using enough medication to ‘control’ fits and balancing the medication to keep a healthy and functional pet. (We never really had control of this disease, we merely chased it).

Again, I am sorry you are going through this. My prayers go out to you and your dog. Be patient with your dog and give him that bit more care and protection that he requires – he will love you all the more for it. The one thing Spencer did not fail to give was affection and slobbery kisses.

Regards,
Trevor.
In memory of Spencer (7-12-2005 to 22-8-2017)