Hello from Russia

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Strelok_401

Hello from Russia

Post by Strelok_401 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 am

Hello everyone,

I'm joining you as a new member, I am originally from Belgium but live now in Russia because of professionnal reasons.
I have a Basset fauve de Bretagne dog who's 8 and has been suffering from grand mal seizures for the last 10 months. He is now on phenobarbital and Keppra according to what our vet (in Belgium) said ; in Russia, we had so far no luck in finding a veterinarian who was used to this kind of issues in dogs, I've been told that some do treat canine epilepsy, but I am still to find one that does.
I have joined this forum as to learn more about what I can do to my dog, who has seizures in the middle of the night or during afternoon naps; he's gotten much, much better since we began the treatment, but issues still happen from time to time (each 2-3 weeks while it happened more than once a week during the first times!)
Moreover, as everyone here, we have trouble finding sitters for our dog; fortunately enough, my mother-in-law sometimes accepts to take care of him, and when she cannot, our children, aged 17 and 13, can handle him during seizures if they are at home when my wife and I are not.

Plus, I have another issue as I am going to move soon to another country, and am scared of how the trip there and the different climate can affect my dog and his seizures. This is one of my other main reasons as to why I have created an account here.

I hope that I can both learn from you, and help with any feedback I can provide regarding meds, treatment, sitters, anything.

Have a nice day, and see you in the forum's threads!

ShilohsMom

Re: Hello from Russia

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 am

Welcome to the boards! Wasn't familiar with that breed of dog and had to look it up. Oh my, those are beautiful!

It's hard enough dealing with a dog that has epilepsy when you have a vet with some knowledge but to not have those resources available to you must be really frustrating and scary. Will the new country your moving to have vets with more knowledge of the disease or specialize in neurology? I think one of this biggest problems with trying to treat epilepsy is there isn't a one-size-fits-all. I've had friends that were able to get control over their epi dogs but I was never able to get to that point for Shiloh. Each dog is different and responds differently. It's important that with a dog on Phenobarbital that you get blood work done on a regular basis to make sure it isn't affecting the liver.

Have you been able to figure out if there's a trigger for your dogs seizures? Lights, food, scents, etc? Had the seizures started after you got moved? Are you keeping a journal that has the date/time/duration of his seizures along with any notes of something that is different, changes in behavior, notes from vet appointments on changes in meds, bloodwork results, etc? That can be really helpful to have especially if you go to different vets.

Have you seizure proofed your house? Removing things that could fall on him or break if he knocks into it from a seizure? I removed the door stops at the bottom of the walls cause Shiloh would lay near them and I was scared he'd get an eye poked out :D I'd also have a waterproof mattress protector on the bed and any furniture he'd get on cause he always lost control of his bladder.

Here's a pretty good link for epilepsy information: http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/

Wishing you all the best on this journey.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16