New and exhausted

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

goldengirl1

New and exhausted

Post by goldengirl1 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:38 am

Hi

Tess, my golden retriever, had her first seizure in April. She was 14 months old. Since then she's had several clusters and went onto pb in May. Kbr was added about 4 weeks ago after Tess collapsed and was unconscious for about 15 minutes and had been having lots of focals. Another seizure a week later but none for the past two weeks. Problem is, since she started on Kbr, she is a totally different dog. The sedation is heavy, ataxia has had her fall down stairs and at times she can barely get up. Now, when she is up she paces endlessly through the night. I am getting so little sleep and had a mini break down this morning. I just cried and cried and don't know where to turn next. For the first time, I shouted at her and shut her in a room on her own which I know she doesn't like, but I am at my wits end. I haven't had more than 2 hours sleep at a time for weeks and am just totally exhausted.

I asked the vet to do a 6-panel thyroid test and it came back showing Tess has hypothyroidism yesterday. So, I will pick up medication for that this morning. I hope i am not getting too optimistic but does anyone have experience of what difference I might expect?

I really need help!

Heather

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:03 pm

At least you know what the cause is. With the hypothyroid medication she should come right very quickly. I have just been to a lecture given by Dr Jean Dodds on this subject and the dogs that she showed suffering from various symptoms of hypoT came right with 8 weeks. She saw my dog and told me to get a test done and yes she had a very low score. We are just waiting for Dr Dodds to do a confirmation test before we start medication.
All of us know how hard it is to cope with the seizures, but please don't take it out on your dog as she cannot help it.
Talk to your vet and get the dose of KBr lowered to help with the ataxia. When she is on the HT meds she may well not need the others.
Please read up on Dr Dodds site re HT and vaccination protocol as if she has auto-immune hypothyroidism she recommends no more vaccinations. This is where the dogs own white blood cells attack the thyroid gland and eventually destroy it. HOWEVER with treatment this can be stopped.

Go thru LINKS on left hand side of page - Epi Guardian angels (about 4 down) - table of contents - HYPOTHYROIDISM - Autoimmune Thyroid Disease
Also while you are there check out VACCINATIONS/SEIZURES - changing vaccine protocol.
Both of these site have valuable reading.
There are also a lot of other helpful sites here for you to check out.
I hope it helps and please keep in touch as I in particular would like to know how the medications for HT works on her.
Best of luck - you're almost there.
Here's hoping that you will have seizure free days very soon.
You are luckly that your vet did a test as many of us have had to try and convince the vets that this maybe the problem.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:07 am

Hopefully, the Soloxine will help. MAny epi dogs have hypothyroid. We all get frstratd and upset, and you do need your sleep. It didn't hurt your pup so sometimes yo may just have to do some things you wouldn't normally do for the both of you. Keep in touch and feel free to vent!
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

henna's mom

new and exhausted

Post by henna's mom » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:21 am

I'm new to this also, and I'm so sorry to hear about Tess. My girl Henna paces constantly day and night. We have only had her for about 2 months and after meeting with a neurologist , her Kbr was increased and so has her pacing, she used to just walk in circles, now she almost runs. I understand how you feel, some nights I put her out in the hallway with her bed and just let her tire herself out, I feel so guilty, but after a while I just can't take it. I hope the medication helps with the thyroid, I think the thyroid test is my next step. When I have my little breakdowns (yelling, crying, ect,) I feel like the worst mom on earth, but my husband reminds me that I'm not a bad mom just a tired one. Hang in there!!

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:15 am

is insomnia a side afecct of kbr? Dylan sleeps at nite now
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:47 am

not really insomnia, more like they seem to havea hard time getting comfortable, some will pacea round all night and some, like Finn will sleep fora couple of hours, then get up. It can be very tiring for the both of you.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

henna's mom

Post by henna's mom » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:14 am

thats Henna, she sleeps from about 9 til 12:30 or 1 am and then she's up for the rest of the night. Your exactly right, she seems to have a hard time getting comfortable, but last night was completly different, slept til 12:45, got up to go potty and went right back to sleep until about 5:30. Keeping my fingers crossed for more nights like this.

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:59 pm

Dylan is just on pb, but he sleeps very soundly. and will come back to bed and sleep with me after my hubby gets up and lets them out.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day