Finn had another one today

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Finndog

Finn had another one today

Post by Finndog » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:19 am

Well, things were just too good for the past couple weeks. We started to step Finn's PB down (under vets direction) about 3 weeks ago from 30bid to 15bid for 2 weeks, then since Sunday, he had none; just the 1500mg of KBr Sid. The good news was that he wasn't stumbling or falling down stairs and he had energy and even started to play with me this week. The bad news is the had his worst seizure today. He never clusters and I am thankful but this one was at 10:00 am, thank God he was with me at work. This one lasted almost 5 minutes and he was blind for about a 1/2 hour, stumbling around and falling over. I got 30mg of PB into him right away and even tried the ice pack. I put him on a leash and we wandered around the office for almost 2 hours. He just could not relax. He's sleeping now but breathing very hard and very fast. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

ADD: I just spoke to the vet. I think she's telling me niecly there's not much to do. We've tried so many variations of meds and nothings working. I can't drug him up and make him a zombie. I can't keep letting him seize and then go through all of this.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

DMH123

Post by DMH123 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:29 pm

Sorry to hear about Finn. Lilly was doing better, too, no seizures for the past 2 1/2 weeks. Then she had one early this morning. Not a bad one, but it's still frustrating.

Thoughts are with you.
Debbie H with Lilly
Jan 2003-Oct 9, 2006
Gone but never forgotten

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:41 pm

How frequent has Lilly's seizures been over the years? I am running out of steam to keep this up. He's been about every 3-4 weeks since last december. We;ve changed his meds and got about 5 weeks when he was like a zombie. I really think there is something wrong with him. I posted a while back (I think) about all of the tumors on him that appeared within the past few months.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:13 pm

Finndog,
I'm so sorry to hear that Finn is having another bad spell. Poor fellow has been through a lot lately. You are both in my thoughts and prayers and please keep us posted. Give Finn a big hug from us and we are here for you.

Sending shoulders to cry on as well as email hugs.
Debbie
Casey and Callie

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:17 pm

Hi Debbie,
We are also thinking of you and Lilly and hope she is doing better now. I do know what you mean about frustrating. Please keep us posted and thoughts and prayers, as well as hugs to you and Lilly.

Debbie S.
Casey epi since 05/10/05 *last seizure 08/20/06* and Callie his non epi sister.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Hi Finndog, I'm sorry to hear about Finns setback. I was wondering what if you reduced the PB much more slowly if that would help. Instead of 1/2 tablet whatever down to 1/4 tablet for several weeks before the next time you lowered.
Our vet told me that it could take 6 months to lower KiKis meds down to half of what she takes now and even longer to get her off completely - providing she does not start seizing again when she gets onto the Thyroxin.
On the other hand - what if it is the KBr. Some have posted that their dogs went onto it fine and then started developing a reaction to it.
I really hope that there is no other underlying problem.
I know from your other postings there is a certain amount of stress at your house and this cannot be having a good affect on him or you.
Thoughts are with you and Finn for better days ahead.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

suejacksoncarr

Finndog

Post by suejacksoncarr » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:41 am

I am so sorry to hear that Finn is having such problems. You more than anyone encouraged me to actually post on this site, your help, advice, common-sense and great knowledge have help me cope with Scholtz when he has been desperately near the edge. After his last clusters we could not put the medication down from the 'loading dose' and he was stumbling and out of it, and the problem was the same as Finn - you can't let them sieze and you can't let them exist like zombies. My Vet was also in despair of him at that time. I kept reading your posts though and sure enough at the moment (touch wood big time) he is stable. We took the kbr down a TINY bit at a time (as you had advised as well as the Vet). He is having blood tests tomorrow and I am actually not too frightened of what the results will be - for the first time ever since he started with epilepsy.

This illness has got to be one of the worst ever - you are so strong and so caring for Finn and yet there are times when you are totally helpless as well.

I am writing this two days after your post so I don't know what has happened with Finn. I feel as if I know him so well. I just pray that he is getting over this.

You genuinely are in my thoughts so much.

Sue
Scholtz - German Shepherd
10th June, 2004 to 9th March, 2007

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:03 am

Sue, thanks so much for your kind words and inspiration. This is tough time for me and Finn. we have tried so many variations and none seem to be working very well. We have been very methodical and careful. Here's his story since last December
December:
Seizures: he went 6 months with none (prior to December), 1000 KBr and 30 pb BID- stepped him off the PB over a month. After about 3 weeks, there was a gunshot near the house (hunting season) and he seized almost immediately. focal seizures followed.- MEDS: 1000 KBr, back to 30 PB BID
January through Mid-May
Kbr was at 1000 mg and 30 pb BID (60 mg in total)
Seizures were coming at 30-40 days, attitude was mixed, some what lethargic and depressed.

May/June- July- August
MEDS: 1500 KBR- 30 MG PB BID
Siezures, After one in May, Finn goes 40 days and has some focals, but develops severe ataxia- falling down stairs, difficulty walking, depressed and excessive sleeping- up at night, Finn has minor Grand mal in August but this time it was while awake and standing up.

August;
Vet and Neuro decide to try a new tactic: we kept it at 1500 KBr and stepped from 30mg PB BID to 15mg BID over 2 weeks,(keeping the KBR at 1500) and then off the PB last week. At 15 bid, he has some signs of ataxia, but much diminished. Actually playing and quality of life. He seized after 4 days (see above) but you could see pre-ictal behavior 2-3 days prior (including a normally friendly dog who became aggressive towards him). For his weight, I believe (and trying to confirm) of 78 pounds, the 15 BID is so low, it probably doesn't even register. I put him back on 15 BID on Friday after the seizure. He was very unstable and tired on Saturday, Sunday at 5:30 AM he was bouncing around to go for a walk, He was very restless the whole day. he fell asleep in the afternoon, had short walk and slept from about 4PM. Naturally, he got me up at 3 AM. So far, he seems good this Monday AM.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

suejacksoncarr

Post by suejacksoncarr » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:36 am

I am so pleased to hear that Finn is feeling better today - I should imagine you are too, and I am so relieved for you. It was so horrid to hear you sound despairing when you usually encourage us all.

Love to you both
Sue

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:40 am

day by day. I won't allow him to keep seizing and he has to have a quality of life. I have to say that my vet doesn't offer much hope. She is hoping that the 15 BID will help but is not hopeful. She thinks there very well be something else going on with his health.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

suejacksoncarr

Post by suejacksoncarr » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:06 am

I know you already do this - live and love him today and if tomorrow brings tragedy both you and Finn know that you have done everything you possibly could do for him.

You know this whole illness is so devasting and difficult to understand. Every dog is different and even though Vets and other people can give the benefit of their experience and advice each individual pet seems to suffer in a unique way.

I agree don't let him suffer, we went down that road in April/May this year, but it just breaks your heart thinking of it doesn't it?

I can't tell you how bad I feel for you both.

Sue

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:21 am

thanks Sue, I really appreciate it. Its very upsetting, With Finn, he is often acting fine, then like a switch, he gets very quiet and spacey. He does this a lot on walks. He'll just stand still with his head down or look around like he's not sure what to do. He won't move. I have to explain to people he's Ok and that he's epileptic, This has happened more frequently. I find myself in more of a care taking role and not enjoying running through the wods and playing. He just isn't the same dog. I get so excited if he plays for 5 minutes. No, I don't think he's in pain and he sleeps most of the day. His AM walk is always good then he sleeps all day. he goes for a 1/2 mile walk in the PM and then is asleep by 6-7pm. Gets up at 2-3AM and will sleep until 7AM. Is this what Irish setters or any hunting dog are about. MK, what is your Irish like on an average day?
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

suejacksoncarr

Post by suejacksoncarr » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:55 am

I know what you mean - but my German Shepherd isn't doing much sheep tending in London even if he wasn't epileptic!!!!!

You and Finn have been awfully lucky that your life-style has been exactly what that of a dog of his breed should be.

Scholtz is our third German Shepherd and although we don't keep sheep for him to look after he enjoys herding up my cat and indeed my husbands racing pigeons!!!

He is very happy and loving (when not suffering in one way or another an effect of his illness) and I think if Finn can get back on track and you may have to slightly adjust your life-style it may bother you more than him. He will enjoy whatever his is doing with you, as long as he is with you, it need not be the exact pursuit for which he was bred.

Or am I wrong - I don't know maybe I am!!!! (I usually am)

Sue

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:03 am

You are pretty much correct which is part of the problem, he's happy when he's with me. I am a very active person, hiking, biking, skiing and other stuff that is outdoors oriented, he just can't do those thing with me anymore. We used to go on 2-5 mile walks, he can't walk more than a mile now. I can't ride my bike with him. He gets very upset when I leave him. Irish are very gregarious and fun loving, they are playful and energetic. This is not my buddy anymore. He's very sweet and gentle and very smart, but there's not much spark left. I will see how the 15bid goes.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:24 am

So sorry to hear Finns having so much trouble. It hit home reading about life changes, last year at this time we were all so "fit", me, the dogs, the horse. I find I haven't been as driven to "exercise" everyone. We just started taking walks in the morning again. Kiya was limping for almost 3 wks. Took her to the vet & there was no visible cause, I opted for no xray & just gave her more time. Maybe with the cooler temps we'll get back into some routine now. I must say Im glad the heat of the summer has past.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15