Hello, new here

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:24 am

welcome, I did not have time to read all the good posts so I do apl;olgize if am being redundant. Please get your dog to a neurologist. There is something wrong here. I would aslo recommend getting the dog started on KBr at a pretty high level to help combat the frequency issue. I will try to post later, I am traveling.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:40 pm

well, no seizures sence 6 pm yesterday. maybe we have broken the cycle.keeping fingers and toes crossed. vet has talked about kbr starting fri when I stop in for more phn.
can`t hardly watch the way he staggers around now, its gona be worse with the new drug?
wags&slurps
Debby&Dylan

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

well, this is always "part of the hard part". Yes, the dog may be ataxic for a while but the AEDs will/should stop or lessen the frequency or intensity of the seizures. Please read around this site and others to familiarize your self with the abreviations so you can be sure of what we are talking about, PB is for Phenobarbitol, KBr is Potassium Bromide, BID is twice daily SID is once daily. You are going to know more medical terms in the next few weeks than you ever thought! Did you get valium suppositories? they are a necessity with dogs who cluster or who Status. Also, don't let your guard down and don't be disheartened if he starts to seize again. MAke sure his diet is good and he has plenty of clean water. The seizures take a lot out of your dog and they will be very tired, hungry and thirsty. Keep i touch, Thoughs and prayers for you!

FYI- Finn is home with my niece for a week, lets keep our fingers and paws crossed!
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:31 pm

They are always crossed !!!
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:17 am

36 hours seizure free! but everytime he stretchs I jump!
meet with the vet in the morning,hoping to baack off the pb.he thinks he may need it sid but maybe only 1/2 pills. the 97.5 milgr. is what he is on 3 full a day right now. but it appears to have worked so far. now to get him to where he can lift his leg with out falling.
but if he starts him on kbr it will start all over.
wags&slurps
Debby&Dylan
36 hours

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:14 pm

Hi Debby,
I'm so glad to hear that Dylan is doing better. As Finndog has stated, please don't get discouraged when the next one comes along. It does take about 4 months for the KBr to get into their systems and again, you may notice some wobbliness for the first couple of weeks, but once they get use to it, most of the unsteadiness does go away. I think I have just accepted the fact Casey is always going to be a little unsteady, but that's ok, if the meds are keeping the seizures under control. As Finndog and others have stated, a good quality of food is really important and I try to keep everything the same. Boring, yes, but as long as what he eats now seems to agree with him and is not setting off seizures, then I'm not going to change it or add anything to it and take a chance. Yes, in the beginning it was frightening wondering if that piece of rawhide, or certain food set them off, but after switching foods a few times we have found what works for Casey. I hope things continue to go well for Dylan and please keep us posted. We care.
Best wishes,
Debbie
Casey epi since 05/10/05 and Callie his non epi sister.

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:08 am

60 hours and still free.
kbr reacts to changes in food? Dylan has always ate evrything.not sure there could be a change in his diet. and the pb has turned him into a megamuncher!
what kinds of food do you feed your dogs?
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:01 am

yes both Pb and KBr will increase your dogs appetite and thirst. Also, watch for addtional urination so if he is alone all day, they may need to go out more frequently. Be careful not to start feeding them more food than needed, they will get fat! sounds like you are making some progress.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:01 pm

picked up more pb this morning. vet wants to hold off on the kbr.sence Dylan is so new at this, he wants to try and get one balenced before starting the other.
3 days free
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:54 am

had one at 9 last nite, so starting the count again. hope everyone else is still counting
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:53 am

Hi Debby,
I know this is very frustrating, but hang in there. I know when Casey first started having seizures it was a very uncertain time for us also. I just never knew when they were going to hit, and still don't, but with time and some tweaking, you will find the right combination and see improvement. I shouldn't say this, but here goes, we are now on 54 days. 1 day past our longest time between seizures. 1 day is not much, but to go this far, especially with some of the problems Casey has had in between, is wonderful for us! I am keeping Dylan as well as the rest of the pups in my thoughts and hoping one day a cure will be found (or at least a better drug to control the seizures longer). Hugs to you and Dylan.
Debbie

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:41 pm

Debby - make sure you keep a diary of when the seizures hit, time and duration. Also if anything different happened preceeding it, change of meds or increases/decreases etc. This comes in really handy and you can see if a pattern starts to form.

Debbie -- We are keeping just about everything crossed for Casey. I know when KiKi went over her "due date" I think I was more stressed than ever. Keep calm and controlled and take one day at a time.

wishing everyone well.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:57 pm

Thank you for your kindness Jane,
So far everything is going well. I can really notice a difference in Casey with the lower dosage of the PB. We are still at a higher dose of KBr so fingers crossed, this will work. Casey is still a little wobbly, but he is so happy lately. He runs thru the yard chasing Callie and will even play with some of his toys. He hasn't done that in a very long time, so I just love watching him right now. It's a beautiful fall day, brisk with lots of sunshine and two happy dogs, who could ask for more!
Best wishes to all, especially those having a hard time right now and big hugs to KiKi.
Debbie

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:22 pm

I know what you mean. We are in spring now and it hasn't rained for a few days. KiKi decided to play rolling over in the grass and ended up rolling herself right down the steep hill. She got up and looked a bit dazed and went back up the top and did it again. It's neat to see them play again although she did end up with a grazed tummy cause she decided that sliding down on her tummy was better that rolling over and over and getting dizzy.
We have the hot weather to come yet and I am hoping that she can get through the heat and humidity. This summer we won't be building so I can take her down to the beach for a swim.
Hugs to all.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:57 pm

so happy for casey! keep counting.
kiki likes to swim? never had mine to a beach. all thats around here is a big creek,way to mush junk for anyone to swim. but Dylan does seem to enjoy blowing bubbles and washing his toys in my small golfish pond. glad its been drained for the winter now tho, I was so worried about him falling in being as wobbely as he is.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day