New Here

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

HaleyDebJ

New Here

Post by HaleyDebJ » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi. My dog is Haley and I am Deb. Just wanted to say HI. Haley is a Golden retriever and is 1 1/2 yrs. old. She has had seizures since we got her at 6 months old. Her mom had a seizure while delivering and 2 pups in the same litter also has seizures. But Haley is down to one in about 25 days, so we are working on the level of medicine.
Nice to have a place where others are going through the same thing.
Haley-Golden Retriever
1 and 1/2 years old
Rescue-but knew about the seizures
First withus-Nov. 2006
Last-Nov. 6 2007

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi Deb, it's getting easy to remember names here. Just call everyone Deb and you'll only be wrong about half the time.

Seizure while giving birth...wow, never heard that one before. 3 pups with seizures...wow. I hope all these dogs have been neutered/spayed.

Anyway, welcome aboard, you have lots of company.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi Deb - wow seizure giving birth. This dog should never have been bred in the first place if they knew she has seizures. So unfortunately it is a genetic epilepsy you have to deal with. Agree with Kurt - I hope that all the pups and the mother have now been neutered to save anyone else from having to deal with this monster.
We have just had a thread in the last week on "breeders" that use epi dogs knowing they have a problem.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Deb,

Welcome. All I can say about that breeder is Lawd help us all!!! I DO hope she speutered the dam and her pups!!!! If not, please spread the word wherever you can that the breeder is not a good one. Not trying to cast aspersions on anyone, but being on this site long enough makes us lose hope in many people and their ethics or lack thereof.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:40 am

welcome from one of the other Deb`s.
seizing while welping, that would be a tuff thing to handle. but have to agree, sure hope the breeder didn`t know before hand and has stopped breeding. if not a great big bite in the butt for them.
getting the meds balanced can be tricky. good luck
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

HaleyDebJ

Post by HaleyDebJ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. The breeder was not aware of the mother's problem. She bought/got the female from someone else to breed to her male. Yes, she has since given the mom away to a non-breeding home. Don't know about the other pups since we are the 2nd family of Haley, but Haley is most definately spayed. As soon as she was able to be. We spay and neuter all our dogs !! Our vet especially said about it, because of her seizures, even though she knew we were going to anyway. Plus the breeder also uses the same vet, so they are aware of the condition of the other pups, so if anyone local has one, I am sure they would tell the people the same thing. Small town --LOL
Well, her levels of Pot. Bromide is in the normal range, but she is still having seizures about every 25 days, so we at 4 1/2 ml. And she gets 2 pills of 60mg of Phenobarbital in the AM and 2 1/2 in the PM.
She loves to swim and plays all the time with our almost 2yr. old German Shepherd, Max. (They are 5 months apart) Haley is 1 1/2 yrs. old. They go for walks all the time, and Max and hubby do tracking and Haley and I are starting Rally classes. So she has a normal life most of the time. SHe is very much a puppy still, loves to run and chase you, and really loves to grab anything
--tissues, toilet paper, socks --and then Max and her "share" the spoils. LOL
Thanks for the warm welcome and a have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Haley-Golden Retriever
1 and 1/2 years old
Rescue-but knew about the seizures
First withus-Nov. 2006
Last-Nov. 6 2007

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:25 pm

Well dispite her seizures she sounds like she is having a great life with you. Congratulations on taking in a rescue even when you knew she had a problem. There are not many people who would have done that. I know these dogs are chosen to come to us for a reason that we will eventually discover. Although we have to go through many heartbreaks with them and are torn apart every time they have a seizure, they somehow seem to make our lives better, fuller or whatever you want to call it.
We never meet each others pups but I think we all feel as though they are part of us to.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:31 am

Deb, welcome, sorry you had to join. I too am new here and have a rescue with seizure activity. I can't imagine what it would be like for a dog to have a seizure while giving birth, or what it would have been like for the puppies to come out during such a storm. I cried when I read that.

Jane, where is the thread about the Breeders breeding dogs with Epilepsy? I can't seem to find it. Very interested in that topic.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Check out posting by MK mom and myself. I am not sure where it started but if I find it I will let you know.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux