A farewell to my best friend Finn

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Finndog

A farewell to my best friend Finn

Post by Finndog » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:52 pm

I didn't want to post this before and I really can't even take typing this now. I had to say good bye to my beloved Finn on December 10, 2008. I want to thank all of you who helped me and Finn so much over the years through so much difficulty and struggle. We enjoyed the last 2 years of our 8 together very much; even seizure-free. I don't know what happened but about 3 months ago Finn began to deteriorate more mentally than physically which just made everything so difficult. We ran tests and nothing showed. It's difficult to explain but it was to the point that I others were telling me it was time, Those close to him knew something wasn't right. he was sad. To look at him, he looked normal but he was sad and something was wrong, his behavior cjhanged. Some days were fine, others were not and they started to get worse. We tried some meds but the vet said something wasn't right mentally and i wasn't going to put him through MRI's and such, he was terrified to go to the vet, something he was kind of used to. I coudn't leave him alone or he would destroy things in the house trying to get out. He chewed through a door frame breaking teeth and also damaged his dew claw. I didn't care about the house, it was that he was so scared and I could see it wasn't fair to him. It's easy to say, I'll just stay with him constantly but in reality, it's not that easy and it still didn't make him well. Finn couldn't sleep, he just couldn't get comfortable and his normal night was up at 1 or 2, up at 3 or 4. He would wander around the house and want to go out. Finn became even more hungry and thirsty than normal (which you know was already a lot). towards the end, Finn would sit in the living room and paw at me, wanting me to sit with him, he would bury his head in my lap. (Finn was never a clingy dog and liked me near but not all over him). I made the hardest decision I will ever make and let him go. I miss him terribly. He was with me 24/7. I see him everywhere and so much of my life involved him. I will always keep him in my heart and I know he's better off. It's just not fair. I wanted another year or so with him. Finn was truely the best dog you could ever ask for. Smart, handsome, very obedient, off leash and so sweet and gentle. I thank God for our time together and I do have so many great memories. He made so many people happy and everyone around my house knew Finn. I know in some time I can go to our favorite places and I imagine him there.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:45 pm

I am so sorry to hear of Finns passing. your run was a sign of hope for us.
as hard as it must have been, you did the best for your friend.
what good is living if you are not happy? he is at peace now, and amoung good friends, so many have passed before him. I think there is a special playground on the bridge for our "shaker " pups
you have my deepst symathies and I`m sending you a big hug and a shoulder to cry on.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi Ron,
As I said before I am so sorry that this has happened to Finn. He was a hope for so many but now he is free, at peace and with all the other epi dogs that have since left us. No matter how many pass it is never easy to cope with and as I write this I can feel the lump in my throat and the burning in my eyes.
Thanks for all the help and advice you have given us in the times past and if you ever need anything just let me know.
Rest in peace Finn.
Last edited by skrpio on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:01 am

Ron,

I type this with tears flowing down my cheeks as I have felt that I knew you and Finn personally. that boy was such an inspiration to me with all he went thru and then you finally found that magic potion that allowed him to live without seizures. I want the same for MK, but sadly have not found it yet.

I'm so sorry that Finn started to grow old and deteriorate. It's never easy to watch that happen and know the end is getting closer. Being a loving pet owner is never easy and saying goodbye is always one of the hardest parts of life and it hurts us so deeply. We know this when we bring these sweet souls into our lives, but the benefits of having them and loving them must outweigh the heartache of losing them because we do it over and over again.

Be gentle with yourself at this time. Finn couldn't have had a better Dad in the whole world and your love for him was felt by us all.

I want to believe that Finn is with the angels now and playing with Kiki and all the other pups that went before him.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Cathleen Griffin

Post by Cathleen Griffin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, Finndog. I don't post here often, but I often come to read, and your devotion to Finn has always been obvious. You were a good dad to a good dog. I really doesn't get any better than that.

God bless you, Finndog. Godspeed to Finn.

snozzel

Post by snozzel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:05 pm

So sorry to hear about Finn. It is a truely difficult but brave decision to make to say goodbye, especially after the struggle you went through with him to find a treatment. I still miss Smythe after 2 years but I now have two other wonderful dogs. RIP to Finn and all our wonderful pups.
Smythe
GSD cross
1993 - 2006 RIP
Epi since 1998

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:38 am

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news about Finn. The pain of losing him will be imense, but in time you will remember and treasure memories of the many happy times you had together.

My thoughts are with you.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:29 pm

DELETED