Hi, I'm a newbie, all help appreciated. Weak back legs...

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Colliegirl32

Hi, I'm a newbie, all help appreciated. Weak back legs...

Post by Colliegirl32 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:24 am

Hi There

I have a beautiful border collie who's just turned 3 and has had epilepsy since she was 18 months, this has got progressively worse, however luckily we were referred to a neurologist and at the moment things seem to be a little more stable. She is on Pheno, KBr and has levitacerum (keppra) for when the fits occur. However the problem we have currently is that her back legs are very weak - to the point that she's struggling with our 3 back steps and also frequently falls over when she turns round or is playing - it doesn't seem to be causing her pain, she is just very confused that she keeps ending up on the ground and it is distressing to watch. The vet thinks it is likely hip displaysia or cruciate ligament problems - and she has been prescribed anti-inflammatories, luckily her liver function is all good at the moment.

however I wondered whether it could be the other medication - has anyone else experienced such a thing? I know that when she first went on the loading dose of KBr that made her very unstable and I wasn't sure whether this could be the cause now?

The drugs have made her put on weight - she is probably about 6 kilos over - but I have her on an obesity diet now - so hopefully that will help, but I don't think the weight would cause this much of an issue.

Any help would be appreciated as i want her to have the best quality of life while she's in a stable state.

seebr5640

Re: Hi, I'm a newbie, all help appreciated. Weak back legs..

Post by seebr5640 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Colliegirl32,

I can't answer about the anti-inflammatories. But were any of the seizure medications just recently added? If so, it would take about 2 to 3 weeks for the side effects of the hind leg weakness to ease up.

Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 250 mg TID
Denamarin QD
Taurine 500 mg BID
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa
Last edited by seebr5640 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apache

Re: Hi, I'm a newbie, all help appreciated. Weak back legs..

Post by Apache » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi, Colliegirl32,

The best way to root out hip dysplaysia is with x-rays. We've always taken them with our German Shepherds. They are not that expensive.

Speaking of hind-end weakness, we recently started our guy on generic Keppra. It has lenghtened the time between seizures by three-fold. However, he has developed some weakness in his hind legs and I too, am wondering if this is associated with the new meds. It's not supposed to be, though. I know that KBr and Pheno are culprits for that side effect. Usually, with Pheno, they get used to it and bounce back to 'almost' their normal self.

Brian