Here for my Kez <3

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Duskkodesh

Here for my Kez <3

Post by Duskkodesh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 am

Hi, I'm Dawn. I live outside of Dayton Ohio with my husband and our German Shepherd-Shiba Inu mix Nebuchadnezzar (Kez for short). We got him about November 2007 from a local shelter and we just fell in love. He's just perfect for us, he plays with us, he doesn't destroy anything, he loves cuddling, he's pretty much my kid.

His first seizure happened last spring and when it did I thought it was dehydration or something else. Hes shook and fell and just utterly panicked so I held him during and cleaned up after and for months we thought it was nothing. Then he had another a few months later, and another after that. SO we took him to our vet (awesome vet, would trust him with my life!) who diagnosed him as epileptic. Now we're supposed to be watching and charting, marking down anything that happens for our vet to analyze. Watching and waiting. It's horribly frustrating, and the worst thing is that after a seizure he acts afraid that we'll punish him, especially if he releases his bowls. I think whoever had him before might have abused him when it comes to house training because the few times he's been sick in the house he hides and acts extremely scared. (>:( I'd love to find those people)

So Hi, ^_^" I don't know what else to say other than Kez and I are happy to have a site like this with all this good information.

Pic of Kez:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29922606@N ... hotostream

seebr5640

Re: Here for my Kez <3

Post by seebr5640 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Dawn & Kez,

Welcome aboard and sorry you had to join.

I was unable to view the photo, it comes up page not found.

Sounds like the seizure are far apart. I hope they stay that way. :)

Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 250 mg TID
Denamarin QD
Taurine 500 mg BID
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

Apache

Post by Apache » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi, Dawn,

Sorry to hear about Kez's seizing, but from the sounds of it, they are still far enough apart that he does not require any immediate medication. I like the way your vet is approaching this. As suggested, keep tabs on everything possible.

As far as Kez being afraid after a seizure,...I wouldn't necessarily blame that on the fact he lost bowel control. Our guy is unpredictable after seizing. He can act that way at times, too. They go through quite an ordeal! They CAN snap out of it in fear. We just went through that with our guy this past weekend.

Brian

Duskkodesh

Post by Duskkodesh » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks for the support guys, he's doing really well thus far and I'm hoping they stay far apart but I'm scared after reading about the unpredictable nature of the disease.

He hasn't snapped thusfar, in fact when I have seen him struck by a seizure I've pulled him onto my lap and held him. I will be extra watchfull from here on out though. :)

orangeong2

Post by orangeong2 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your case. I think what you can do is give him the extra care where his previous owner doesn't provide.
I was renting a room now and my landlord owns a dog. It was barking at me and hide under the chairs whenever I go near. I tried to play with it, feed her treats and now she treats me better than her owner. All you need is more care.

Hope kenz is doing well right now.