Suggestions needed !

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Tanyagujral

Suggestions needed !

Post by Tanyagujral » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:53 am

Hie ....
I have a pure breed Labrador (Austin) and who is about to turn 3 ....he started getting seizure when he was 6 months old ....since then we have treated him with everything we could ...from possasium bromide to even Ayurvedic medicines ....but we got no good results...till day all my dog does is eat, got for a small walk and den sleep the whole day .....we cannot exert him as then there is a chance of him getting a seizure ...i am now use to his lifestyle but seeing him getting those seizures is getting very tough day by day as the frequence of seizures are increasing ....I seek for some suggestions that could reduce the number and also keep him calm after the sezuire as he walks all night in the house ....

Tanya Gujral.

seebr5640

Re: Suggestions needed !

Post by seebr5640 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Tanya & Austin,

Welcome aboard and sorry you had to join.

What medications is Austin currently taken?

How often are the seizures?

What do you feed him? Do you feed him once, twice, three or four times a day?

Any additional information you can give would help. :)

Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 250 mg TID
Denamarin QD
Taurine 500 mg BID
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

Apache

Re: Suggestions needed !

Post by Apache » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi, Tanya,

Like Barb mentioned, it would be ideal if you'd let us know what medications Austin has been prescribed, and/or is currently taking. Phenobarbital is 'usually' prescribed upon the onset as a first line of defence. We have had some success with it over the course of the first 2 years. Still working on dosages, though.

Also, exercise is good for epileptic dogs. I wouldn't hold back in that regard unless there's something outside that is possibly acting as a trigger of sorts.

Brian