Just diagnosed... kind of

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

JyGra

Just diagnosed... kind of

Post by JyGra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and so far have found all of your stories very encouraging! I have a 5 year old black lab named Kirby and he had quite a rough day yesterday. I witnessed his first seizure, a grand mal, early last December. It lasted about 3 minutes and boy, it is certainly a heartbreaking sight to see! We decided to "wait and see" before taking him to the vet but the issue never presented itself again. Then yesterday morning I woke up and noticed Kirby running into our cabinets and looking disheveled and I knew right away he had suffered another seizure. This was at 7am. I arranged to bring him in at 11am... he suffered more seizures: once at 8am, right after seeing the vet (who decided to watch and wait despite the clustering) at noon, again at 7 pm, 8pm, and 1 am. We brought him to the ER after his 8 pm fit and they prescribed pheno. We gave him an extra dose after his 1am fit. Each seizure was a grand mal and lasted between 2 and 3 minutes.. his bloodwork came back normal so we don't know what's causing them. His last post-iptic state lasted 3 hours with him charging around the house ,ravenous, thirsty, and frenzied. I stayed up with him and read all of your stories trying to learn from them. While it's happening it feels like hours and when he's post-iptic I feel totally helpless. How long do clusters usually last? Days? Day? Is there anything I can do to make him feel more comfortable? I felt that both vets treated the issue rather nonchalantly, am I wrong to be so upset?

JyGra

Re: Just diagnosed... kind of

Post by JyGra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Update: as far as we know he hasn't had another seizure since 1am however he is acting manic. He's jumping and barking and panting with his tounge hanging out of his mouth. Is this typical behavior?

Apache

Post by Apache » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi, JyGra,

The behaviour that Kirby is displaying right now could easily be from coming down from his recent seizure activity. However, he was just prescribed Phenobarbital, too. From what you posted, it doesn't sound like the ER gave him a 'loading dose', but you did give him an extra one. This as well could cause the erratic behaviour. And, don't forget, this is all new to Kirby. Our guy has been going through these seizures for almost 4 years now, and what you describe is not uncommon in the post-ictal period.

Sorry if I misinterpreted this, but did you mean that your vet just watched Kirby go through seizure activity without administering anything? Curious. You'd be surprised to know that many vets out there have limited knowledge when it comes to Epilepsy. If you have any doubts about them, call around.

Hoping that Kirby has a peaceful night, and many, many more to come.

Brian

JyGra

Post by JyGra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Thank you Brian. This has been quite the experience..
No the vet wanted to take the "watch and wait" approach but he did not see Kirby actually seizing. When we were in the parking lot about to leave Kirby had a seizure in the car. We went inside to inform the vet who then came out to take a look but at that point it had passed. He then simply replied that "seizures tend to come in clusters and that's normal" and sent us on our way. I did much prefer the ER vet who was much more empathetic to our situation but couldn't give us much insight as to what to expect since every dog can react differently.. it all seemed pretty vauge.

Hopefully we have a calmer night..