Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Hello everyone!

New to the site and hope to get lots of great information and offer others encouragement.

I have 3 dogs:

Izzie - 7 year old Labradoodle. I got her when she was 9 months old from a home that no longer wanted her. I tell her I should of renamed her Elmer because she sticks to me like glue.

Rylie - 7 year old Border Collie/Great Pyrenees. She came from the local animal shelter. She was 6-8 months old and had been at the shelter for a couple months. Really skinny, dull coat and no real muscle mass to speak of. Today, she's energetic, happy and loves to run after squirrels & rabbits.

Shiloh - 8 year old Rott/Australian Shepherd. Came from the local animal shelter. He was dumped in the country with his 2 brothers. He's the reason I'm on the boards. He developed seizures at 4 1/2. We had been doing well until 3 months ago. In August he started having trouble with his back legs and balance. After x-rays & 2 MRI's they found that he has a collapsed/damaged disk in his back that I suspect happened during a seizure. Most of the time he's just a bit unsteady and he scissors his back legs when he walks, but after he's had a couple seizures fairly close together he can have troubles walking/balancing for a couple days. There isn't anything they can do to repair the damage so I pray it doesn't get any worse, but do worry with each seizure that he'll hurt himself even more.

Then this month when I took him in for his PB level check he had lost 7 pounds in the last month. They tested his liver function which came back showing that his liver wasn't producing albumin like it should. Vet thinks it's his PB (he's been on it 3 years) so we are cutting back on the PB and increasing his Keppra. Should have him completely off PB in a few weeks. Hoping that the Keppra will help control his seizures better without the PB.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

beaglemum

Re: Newbie

Post by beaglemum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Welcome,

It sounds as if Shiloh has been doing well on his seizure meds, except for damaging his back, which is unfortunate and rather sad for him and now with the liver that is worrying.

I would pass on a cautionary note about weaning off PB. Go slow, very slow. I know it will be a trade off between the health of his liver and seizures occurring, but on the couple of occasions, I have tried to wean off, or even just lower Saxon's PB (under vet guidance), we have then had clusters that are hard to control. A large part of that is probably his physiology, as he is also resistant to a lot of the meds, but now when we try to wean him off meds, we go at about a half or quarter of the speed recommended.

Given Shiloh's back problems, I am sure you are anxious to avoid any further seizures. Are you planning on replacing the PB with anything or just keeping him on the Keppra?

Good luck with everything, I am sure this is a very anxious time for you.
Roxanne & Saxon (beagle)
2 Nov 2004 - 1 Mar 2015
1st Seizure 9th August 2008
Last 21st Feb 2015
100mg Phenomav BID
200mg Zonisamide BID
7000mg milk thistle

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Hopefully we can manage his seizures with just the Keppra. He still has seizures, about 5-10 a month with medication. While it would be ideal for him not to have any or fewer than what he has now, unfortunately for the last 3 1/2 years we have not had a month without a seizure. He was maxed out on the dosage he could have on PB and honestly I'll be glad to get him off it especially since his liver was starting to fail.

The vet has me reducing the PB over the course of 3 weeks while upping the Keppra. I'm going on the second week and can tell a change in Shiloh's personality. He has more energy although he still has the desire to eat anything not nailed down! I've told people I'm tempted to call the City to see if they'd like to hire him to go behind the trash collectors and eat the stuff that drops on the ground! :D

The worst part besides his seizures is the waiting. Waiting for test results to come back, waiting to get him retested to see if things are better, waiting to see if the new meds/dosage will work, waiting on the next seizure......

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi ShilohsMom,

sorry you and shiloh are going thru this ... have you tried milk thistle for shiloh's liver ...

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... histle.htm

keep us posted ... ♥

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:46 pm

I haven't tried Milk Thistle yet, was going to check with my vet on Monday when I take Shiloh in to get the liver function retested. Wanted to hear what he thought of that or SamE or Denysol and if he thought one would be better than the other.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:58 am

Good News!!!!!! Had the chem 12 done on Shiloh Monday and the liver results, while not perfect yet, are much closer to normal range! He's now completely off the PB so we'll test him again in a month to see if it gets back to a normal range. He even gained 2 of the 7 pounds back. So happy about all of this. May need to add another seizure med to his Keppra because he's still having quiet a few seizures, 3 this week, which makes 9 this month. Hopefully, he'll start to even out and we won't have to add anything else.

I joked with the vet that I may have to get him some doggie downers, cause his energy level is back and sometimes it wears me out just watching him. He also seems to need a lot more attention which I'm happy to provide.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:23 am

I was really hoping to post a success story a little longer term. Shiloh had gone 17 days without a seizure. Happy about that, but he has just had his 6th seizure since 2:00 a.m. Sunday morning. I hope it's the last but my stomach feels otherwise. We have a vet appointment this afternoon to rechech liver function so l'll at least be able to talk to the vet. It's so hard to watch him go through this. Crud, make that 7 seizures, he had another as I was writing. Sigh........

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:32 pm

aaaww ... dang, colleen .... sorry to hear you guys are going thru this again ... thought things were looking up there for a while ... I soooo hate this disease ... hopefully the vet can suggest something to help ... let us know how that goes with the vet visit

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Yes, I was hoping for better, but trying to focus on all the good things it wasn't. I was thinking of you and Molly around the 4th one. Hope Molly is still doing well and you are able to get some rest.

Colleen

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm so sorry Colleen. We are keeping you and Shiloh in our thoughts. It's so hard to watch and emotionally unsettling. Please let us know how the vet visit goes and how you are doing.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Just got back from the vet and he's going to up his Keppra to 3 tablets 3x a day (3000 mg). I told him about Shilohs appetite being both extreme and That he's also started chewing on weird stuff, he said one of the side effects of Keppra is pica which I didn't know. Good news is that all of his liver function and blood work came back in normal levels so really happy about that. Hopefully we'll have a quiet evening.

Thank you all for your thoughts & prayers. It helps knowing others know what this feels like.

Colleen

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi Colleen,
Both Pb and Keppra can cause pica. Jake has had too many surgeries because of eating things that got stuck in his intestines. Everything from a corn cob to a cat nip toy. Last year it was a small stick that would have gone through but the scar tissue built up and it couldn't make it through. I know this is hard, but you should look into a lightweight muzzle to use when you can't watch what Shiloh is doing. I hated the whole idea and couldn't even bring myself to measure Jake for one. Luckily my husband could. The bottom line is that it's keeping him safe when we can't be with him. Believe me you don't want your dog to go through the hell of surgery.
I hope you both have a quiet night.

Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:36 pm

hi Colleen,

after upping the keppra did the seizures stop that Shiloh was having earlier ... thank you for thinkin' of me and Molly, so far so good here ... hope you two have a quiet, non-eventful, and restful night ... glad to hear the liver function is back to normal .... our furry four-legged kids sure amaze me ... keepin you and shiloh in my prayers ... ♥

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:48 am

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the suggestion on the muzzle, I'll look into it. I'm hoping that the pica issue will get better along with his obsession over finding something to eat. I'm sorry about Jakes need for surgery, that had to be really scary. Hope things go well with Jake over the holidays.

Hi Chris!

Shiloh had one more seizure at 10:30 last night. I'm waiting for him to now get back to "normal". He's still pacing quite a bit and seems to have moments of confusion. I'm thrilled to hear that Molly continues to do well. We have to take our victories where we can and count the blessing found in each seizure free day.

Colleen

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Colleen,
I hope the Keppra kicks in a keeps the seizures away. Jake had one this morning. The seizure itself mild, but he had post ictal crying/whining for almost 30 minutes. That hasn't happened in over a year. I hate this stupid disease.

Lynne