Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ShilohsMom

Re: Newbie

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Shiloh has just had another seizure (9 since Sunday morning) I'm really having a hard time with how many he's had and watching him have more difficulty in recovery. All of Shilohs seizures have been grand mal so used to seeing the severity, however this last one was awful. I thought he was at the point where he could get up, but his lips snarled and teeth started chattering. That didn't last too long so was grateful it didn't go into another full blown seizure. The amount of saliva this time was massive, couldn't believe how much he was drooling. He's having difficulty walking and his back legs are giving out (he has a damaged/collapsed disc I suspect happened during a seizure several months ago but most of the time you can't tell he has a problem). Then he started biting/trying to eat whatever was close, dresser knobs, furniture, throw rug, water bowl, towels, etc. it was like an obsession and he couldn't help himself. Plus he's just not "him" if that makes any sense. He has finally laid down and is quiet, but my gosh this is really hard tonight.

Lynne,

I'm sorry to hear that Jake has seized, especially after such a long time. Hopefully he won't have any more for a while. Thoughts & prayers are with you.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:06 am

hi Colleen,

sheeeit .. aaaww man I'm sooo sorry ... have you contacted the vet again to see what can be done to help ... and like you I worried about the shear number of seizures in any amount of time spaced out over days have you tried a mid-point "extra" dose of keppra and/or valium after a seizure ... and yes, we all understand totally what "just not himself" is like ... given time that can change for the good

Hi Lynne,

craaaap ... sorry to hear Lynne ... how is Jake now ... I 2nd that, I sooooo hate this disease and the extraordinary unfairness of it compared to most disease's ... please keep us posted

my thoughts and prayers are with all four of you ... hang in there we're here for you ...

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:05 am

We saw vet Monday afternoon and he increased the keppra. With it being Christmas he won't be in so will see.how the rest of today goes. This is the 2nd one since the increase. The other was last night (Monday) at about the same time. This last one seems harder for him to bounce back from. I haven't gotten Valium. I see where a lot of other people use it, but my vet hasn't offered it to him. I'd almost be nervous about giving that to him cause 99.9% of seizures happen when he's relaxed & sleeping. He's not reay been sleeping much since the 10:00 seizure, rests for a bit but his head is up most of the time. About an hour or so later he starts sniffing all around the bedroom looking for something to eat. I'm exhausted and it doesn't help that I started coming down with upper despot org infection. I so don't want get out later and take all the dogs out for the morning walk, but wl feel bad if I don't. Yep, I hate this disease too.

Thank you for the prayers they're much needed.

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:54 am

I'm very sorry. Seizures are terrible to watch, especially when they progress. I am sure this is related to the elimination of the Pheno, which is so touchy and I'm not a doctor, but they probably need to replace that Pheno with something else. Keppra is usually an "add-on" with other medications and from what I have seen and read rarely works by itself in difficult cases. But, maybe it is just an adjustment phase. As for the Valium, you need to tell your vet it is necessary at this point. I was given Valium pills in the beginning and utilize them immediately after seizures and usually if I go to work the next day, but after doing research I found the Valium rectal protocol and took all of the paperwork to my vet. She then gave him the oral liquid Valium, which I have only used once after a really bad seizure as you described (the second in a 24-hour period and I knew what was coming which was a lot more) and it worked. I try to give tablets after initial seizures and if they are not progressing and it seems to keep the back to backs at bay as well and calms Winston's post-ictal pacing and eating frenzy down to a minimum. The best rectal Valium seems to be the injectable version, but the oral liquid my vet gave me did work. There are also suppositories, etc., but you should at least have the pills available. I feel for you and am sorry. I wish you and your babe a good day today.

Lynne - I'm sorry to hear about Jake as well. This disease is the worst.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:00 am

Typo :) When I administered the rectal is was the second in a 12-hour period. I need more coffee.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:22 am

Thank you for the suggestion and will call the vet tomorrow and see what he says. I just feel so helpless. While every disease I can think of may not have the best outcome, there's usually a fairly solid treatment regimin, but seizures are just random at what combo will work.

Shiloh spent the entire night sniffing for food and not able to settle down. At 6:30 he peed on the floor, no warning he needed to go out. He's still salivating and pacing. I feel awful for him and all the others who suffer from this.

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:52 am

I know how you feel. We all do. Winston had four seizures in a 24-hour period when the Pheno was initially started and it was just heartbreaking to me. When Winston went the 60 days seizure free after that, I thought we were going to be one of the lucky ones, then a week-long hell ensued and towards the end of that week, it was just terrible. I had meltdown at work that week. No sleep. Anxiety-ridden. I really didn't think he was going to make it through, but again, a tweak of the medicine, adding Keppra, brought him back and he has had periodic breakthrough seizures still (always Grand Mals). I agree that the hardest part of this is that there are no solid treatments for a lot of our pups and it is ever changing. The never knowing when or why these ugly seizures come is so hard and watching them go through it is heart wrenching. Not sure of your situation, but if Shiloh gets any worse, maybe take a trip to the ER. They will give your pup a shot of Valium and probably some Valium pills (that is what they did for Winston after his very first seizure) which might help. Some dogs have an adverse reaction to Valium and it makes them even more anxious, but it knocks Winston into a much more mellow condition and stops the pacing and crazy hunger. Not sure if your vet has an emergency answering service either. They may be able to call in something for you. Either way, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this during the holidays and I'm so sorry your pup is sick. We're keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers today.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:36 am

Thank you everyone for thinking of Jake. He's doing okay so far. Right now he's licking a Kong with peanut butter in it and we're hoping for the best.
Colleen,
If you can I would get Shiloh to an ER until after the holiday when you can reach your vet. Nine seizures is serious. Sending you our best with hugs. Please let us know how you're doing.

Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Colleen,

can't say it enough, sooo sorry you two are going thru this and especially on the holidays ... our last round of seizure's I remember thinkin' and counting the day's thinking, "oh great, there goes x-mas!!!" ... but like so much of this disease, it's un-predictable and x-mas was saved, so I feel for you with it happening over the holiday's ... but don't give up cause everyday can be a "new beginning" with great results ...

Lynne,

good to hear Jake is ok ... :D

To All Of Us: MERRY CHRISTMAS! ... and may our four-legged bud's have nothing but better days ahead ... love ya all!!!!
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:58 am

Shiloh was able to get settled yesterday afternoon and slept peacefully all night. So happy about that. Will call the vet when they open and see about getting him some Valium. Thank you everyone for your concern, prayers and thoughts. My dogs are hairy children to me and while my friends no how much they mean, they can't have a concept of what it's like to live with a dog that has seizures and its comforting to have the support of everyone one the boards.

Colleen

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:33 am

So good to hear that he calmed down and settled in for what was hopefully a good night's rest for you too. I would definitely ask the vet about the Valium for when he is having fits. It helps us out a lot and gives me a break from the worrying so much when I'm at work, etc., if he is having a hard time. It is nice to be able to come here because everyone understands what it is like to live with this scary and unpredictable disease. I agree that friends and family know how much I love my babies, and while they are empathetic, they really do not have any idea what it is like to live with an epi-dog on a daily basis. Some people just try to avoid the conversation if I bring it up. I think it is just too unsettling for them to think about so it's nice to have this outlet.

Here's to a peaceful and seizure-free day for you and Shiloh :)
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Colleen,
I am so glad to hear that Shiloh is doing better. This is hard enough, but when it comes over Christmas it makes it even harder. You're absolutely right about everyone here. As much as friends try to (or not) to understand what it's like to have an epi dog, having this place to come to is a treasure to me. Even if I don't post or participate, just knowing you're all here if I (more like when) I need you is comforting beyond words.
Here's to all of us having a peaceful week.

Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:44 am

Hi Colleen,

woo hoo ... here's to a more settled Shiloh and hopefully a peaceful night again ... my prayers with you and shiloh ... ♥

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Well we went 24 days seizure free until Friday morning at 1:00 a.m followed by another 20 minutes later. Then Friday evening between 11:00-11:45, three more. Saturday morning another. Have appointment with vet on Monday. I've given him Valium twice and to be honest can't tell that it does anything for him (3 10mg tablets) and he's had rescue remedy. Seems like the clustering is slowly getting worse, this is breaking my heart. Doesn't help to cope when you only get a combination of about 2 hours of sleep. He's still whiney and pacing. I want so bad to make him better but feel helpless.

Kipsmom

Post by Kipsmom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Colleen. It's such a helpless feeling. It's such a mystery why some dogs seem so resistant to whatever we try to do for them.

The lack of sleep that comes with caring for epi-pups seems to make it so hard to function or to think clearly. I hope Shiloh has some relief from this current cluster. Hang in there. It's tough. Hope you get some rest this weekend and that Shiloh breaks this cluster! Damned epilepsy!
Ellen and Kip
Corgi/Lab/Shepherd mix - 50 lb
750 mg KBr QD
200 mg Zonisamide BID
1250 mg Levetiracetam (Keppra) TID
1st seizure 11/15/2012
In doggie heaven 8/20/13 :-(