Chris

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ShilohsMom

Chris

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:06 am

Has anyone heard anything on how Chris & Katie are doing? Haven't seen any postings from her and couldn't find her Facebook page. They've just been in my thoughts and wondering if anyone else has heard from her.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

cforecatsmeow

Re: Chris

Post by cforecatsmeow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:59 pm

I have not heard a word. Often wonder how they are doing as well.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 am

hi all,

thank you for thinking of me and Katie ... we're hanging in there ... we're still in the studio apartment(basically a room in a hundred old house with a 50's motel style kitchenette and a bathroom the size of a closet) that we moved into right after the fire ... don't think things will change for quite a while from what I've been able to find out here in the limited options of "podunk" ... there a severe lack of work, mostly sales and service job's with low pay, limited option's for low income housing, and most landlord have a "no pets policy" ...

still having nightmare's at night but I talked to a waitress gal who had gone thru the same thing having lost her home to a fire years ago and she said it took her almost a year or a lil' over to get past the issues after her fire, that helped ... at least I quit feeling like my lil' "choo choo's" gone around the bend ... :lol: ... and I can actually leave the place without going back to check and make sure everything unplugged/turned off ... but once in a while I spend a shift at work consumed with dread that somethings not right at home ... sounds crazzzy I know ...

still have dreams when sleeping that every movement(usually it's Katie changing positions or kicking me for more room :roll: )or sound is my Molly having a seizure then waking up in a panic only to find out that she's "gone" ... kinda like losing her over and over ...

I like it best at night when I can still feel her laying behind my knee's with her head up over my hip or thigh ... ok ... so maybe I'm still a lil' nuts ... :lol:

still come here but not as often cause it bring's back the bad memories of all Molly and I went thru ... looked for another Molly but was turned down several time's cause I don't have a home with a fenced yard anymore and I turned down 1 epi dog and a dog that's 3 years old who's father is an epi dog ... just gonna have to wait until I can "get a life" back again if that ever happens ...

thanks again for asking about things ... nothings really changed at all ... same today as it was right after the fire ... I just keep thinking, "maybe ... who know's ... maybe ... just right up there ... ---> ... right around one of the next bends in life something good will happen" ... :D

Chris and Katie
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:21 am

It's so good to hear from you. I know it's been a rough road for you and we're hoping it gets better soon. It's hard enough to lose a beloved pet and then to lose all of your personal belongings on top of that is just terrible. We are glad that you and Ms. Katie made it. My pup Chester died 4 years ago in February. I still kiss his picture every day and I still "feel" him around the house periodically and I have no doubt he's there. I still tell him to be nice to epi-Winston because he's so sweet :) Chester would have killed my non-epi Patty in a second because she is so feisty so I tell him to try and be tolerant of her as well because one day we'll all be together and we're going to have to co-exist :lol:

As for the nightmares, post-traumatic stress is very hard to shake but it usually gets better as well over time. If it doesn't go talk to someone about it. It does help. I'm OCD about everything in my house anyway. I cannot tell you how many times I come back in my house to make sure the coffee pot is unplugged or the stove is off or that I did not leave a cigarette burning somewhere so you are not crazy. That would mean I'm crazy and that just can't be :wink: I too have feelings of dread sometimes at work, usually thinking Winston has had a seizure and it just comes over me and I worry until I pull into the driveway and see him standing in front of the door waiting for me to come home. Life is hard sometimes unfortunately and why everything bad seems to happen all at one time (at least it usually does for me), I just do not know. My grandmother used to say "this to shall pass" all of the time to me and I try to remember that when things are not going so well. Sometimes it's just hard getting through those times.

We will say a special prayer that you find a good job, a better place to live and most importantly some peace for you and Katie.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Your grandmother and I have that in common as I say it all the time, "this tooo shall pass" ... then to myself I think, "God I hope it's better when it does" ... my boss, the owner of the mini mart one day stepped in and said to a customer who like so many was relentlessly hounding me about the fire, "all I know is that bad things happen to good people ... this I have learned!" ...

ms. Molly doesn't understand why for the 1st time in her 12+ years she can't just go outside, by herself, and stay out in the yard until she's ready to come in ... she thinks I should be able to just open the door for her like in the past and out she goes to spend some time in her fenced in yard ... she's not too happy about being on a leash all the time she's out with me and my "your the one who wanted out here at 2 am in the freezing temps, or snowing and blowing sideways weather sooooo hurry da heck up cause ma's freezing her arse off, :lol: " ... and I know she's lonely now without her four-legged buddy tooo ... with nothing to divert her attention like a buddy would she sleeps a lot for lack of anything better to do ...
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I think pets grieve just like we do. When Chester died, my cat Spooky did not come out of the closet for a month. She would sit in there an meow all day long. It was just terrible and sad. She really loved that dog and I really don't think she ever got over it. She has other kitty friends in the house, but she is partial to dogs (funny I know) and Winston and Patty aren't like Chester so I think she stays emotionally stressed because she wants a dog to love on :( Patty and Winston have bonded considerably after a rough start together. I have no doubt the loss of one or the other will deeply affect the household. Just try to love on Ms. Katie and give her cuddles. I'm sure misses her bud and her yard. Mine live for the leash. On days when I'm too tired, it's easy just to open the door and let them mess about in our yard (not that big but it's enough) and they hate it. I even find Patty trying to drag her leash off of the hook. It's tough having to take them out though. I had to do that with Chester for years and it's exhausting sometimes. Again, we're keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers and hoping for bigger and better things to come your way.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:23 am

Chris, it was so good to hear from you. You continue to be in my prayers that better days are ahead and that your heart may heal a little more each day. I don't think you're crazy in the least for wanting to go home and check to make sure that things are unplugged and would think it's perfectly natural.

I'm sure Katie will adjust to not having a yard in time. Right now I'm having to keep Shiloh on a leash for the morning walk cause he's still suffering from the post-ictal stage of his recent cluster and he can't be trusted. At first I could tell he felt like he was on the "walk of shame" but is doing better about today.

Hope you update us occasionally when you're able, we care so much about you and want blessings to come your way.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi Cynthia,
today is my 1 day off this week so got Katie out more today and she really enjoy's that ... thanks for your prayers ... all are gratefully appreciated ...

Hi Colleen,
Hope Shiloh has a long seizure free run ... thanks for your prayers tooo ...

After following the Oso, Wa. mudslide for the last 10 days since I live in Wa.
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/searchdog
(have to copy and paste link into your browser)

I sometimes feel pretty guilty for my own "pity-parties" until I sit here in this room and look around at my life ... it's like when Molly was here in that my emotions are all over the board from moment to moment ... some of why I don't post is cause there's nuttin good to say and who wants a "downer" ... but rest assured that I care about all of you and your four legged babies, having "been there, done that" I read and relive my past thru your trials, tribulation's, & heartbreak's that this horrid disease brings ...

today for the 1st time I "made" myself go over there and walk around ... found 2 padlocks with keys twist-tied to locks and the staple gun ... brought home and cleaned em up, then bought new staple's and sm. WD40(while trying not to think about the big can of WD40 and full box of staples in the house that isn't there) ... they still work even if a lil rusted and discolored ... nuttin else over there so I guess I can turn the page on that part of my life ... hopefully ... :lol:

if I don't post often it's not that I'm trying to be rude ... it's cause I'm waiting for something good to say... :D
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13