New Here

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

jaffles

New Here

Post by jaffles » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Hello All,

My little girl, Jaffa, is a Maltese - Shih Tzu, over the past 12-15 months she has had quite a few seizures, mostly she has been conscious and semi-alert through them, with a lot of twitching and muscle spasms, she had one where she peed everywhere, started howling and then started running on her side and fell off the bed, by the time i knew what what was going on, but within a minute or two she was fine, a little dazed but whithin an hour or two, she was back to her normal self.

Another time, she was out of of it, barely responsive but still somewhat conscious, that was her worst one, it went on for about a total of 45mins, she was rushed to the vet, and given anti seizure meds, put on a drip and given oxygen overnight. The vet suggested we payy $500 for a blood test alone and then organise a CT Scan, which would be extra, before considering epilespy, but told us the tests were probably a waste of money as it was suspoected she was having an allergic reaction to a flea product which we stopped and she didn't have a seizure for a good 6-8 months.

She had a few minor seizures before these, but whenever we went to take her to vet, she'd stop and be ok within a few minutes and want food. The vet mentioned that these were porobably just twitching or something, because dogs lose consciousness when having a seizure. Well I've since found out that's a load of bull.

About two weeks ago she had another twitching fit, and came good pretty quick and was fine since. Thursday she became a bit lethargic and off balance and a bit clingy, but but she has her days where she is like this and the next day she is fine. Yesterday (Friday) she looked a lot worse for wear, wouldn't eat barely drank and just seemed spaced out, very unresponsive the cats could sniff her and she wouldn't tell them off like she normally would and she seemed kinda blind, off to the vet again.

We moved since her last seizure so it was a different vet $140 for a blood test (much better compared to the last vet) and everything came back clear, except a very slight liver abnormality, that the vet even said was only just barely abnormal but no where near enough for any concern at all, they took into consideration her history and I was told that she was likely have partial (focal?) seizures hence the weird twitching

The vet also mentioned that her behaviour over the past 2 days was probably the pre sezuire phase and probably had one we didn't see and yesterday was the post seizure stage, we have now been prescribed Phenomav (phenobarbitone) for her.

She was given her fist dose last night and the second this morning, she is currently very sleepy, and wobbly on her feet which we've been told is normal when they first start this, it's horrible to see these side effects in my beloved baby, I have a dropper which I'm giving her water through every so often, although is showing interest in the water bowl and food.

She appears to, despite the side effects, perked up, she wants food, she responds to her name and other noises, and is a bit fidgety, tries to walk but staggers a bit, even told me today she wanted a wee, oh and she told the cat of today lol. She's also showing more interest in cleaning herself and her surrounds, although if I leave the room she wants to follow, she's still a bit clingy, but I'm guessing the side effects are making her uneasy and she wants me for comfort.

I guess after such a long winded post, I am wondering if other people have had similar experiences with seizures in their fur babies and similar effects with medications. I'm a very worried mummy at the moment...

Thanks for reading :)
Name: Jaffa
DOB: 26 Dec 2009
Breed: Maltese Shih Tzu
First Seizure: 18 Apr 2014
Last Seizure: 31 Jan 2016

Apache

Re: New Here

Post by Apache » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi, Jaffles,

Sorry to hear about your dilemma with Jaffa. It's heart-breaking to watch our four-legged babies go through such ordeals. Not to mention what it does to us as well. It is new for both concerned, so we are literally both facing uncharted waters/territories.

I may have missed it, but I don't recall you mentioning Jaffa's age. It may or may not be important, but in general, dogs will start having seizures (if it's diagnosed as Idiopathic Epilepsy) at an early age. Again, that is not always the case.

It sounds like,...for the most part, that Jaffa has been experiencing many focal seizures, although one that you described sounded a lot like perhaps a Grand Mal. It is so dicey to say the least. Our guy, Apache, from the onset suffered Grand Mals. And believe me, they are not conscious during these episodes. At least from what we have experienced and from what we have been told. Call me crazy, but that was a kind of saving grace knowing that he had no idea what was going on. Although, I'm a firm believer that they know when one is about to happen, and know that something happened to them afterward.

We never had a use for flea collars and/or flea products where we reside. However, there are plenty of members here that have had some issues with certain brands of flea control products. Ironic that she went 6-8 months seizure-free after you stopped using it, though. I know it raised my eyebrows upon reading that. But, if it is Epilepsy, you can guess, suspect, speculate all you want until your brain has had enough. I'm sure there are many dogs out there that may have a root cause for this disease, but finding that needle in the haystack is something else.

As far as the reaction to the Phenobarbital (Phenomav), that certainly sounds like a typical response from Jaffa. That was pretty identical to what we experienced as well. Expect some hind end weakness, wobbly at times, and just kind of spacey to start. These symptoms will diminish within usually 3-4 weeks (depending on the dosage given), but fear not, she will be back up and running in no time. Oh,...and being clingy? Oh yes. That, too, will decrease if she's anything like our guy was. It just takes time for them to get used to the medication.

Have patience! I can't stress that enough! Wishing you both the very best!

Brian

jaffles

Re: New Here

Post by jaffles » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi Brian, my little girl is almost 6, she had her first seizure a few months after she turned 4. We thought it was strange that the seizures stopped after we stopped using the flea product, and have avoided using any products with any harsh chemicals, so we thought we were in the clear, sadly not.

She did also come from a puppy mill, she was the mothers third consecutive litter, and the pup before her was stuck for almost an hour, less than five minutes after her brother was delivered she came along, and was also the runt of the litter, I never planned on having a little dog, but as a pup she fell in love with me and I melted.

She's is on 15mg of phenomav every 12 hours, and its heartbreaking, her sight is still a bit off, she's trying to walk around but tires easily, although we have noticed that when she needs to wee she fidgets a bit, so we take her outside, she also shivers sometimes like she's cold, which we are assuming is more side effects, we're doing our best to keep her calm and relaxed, and I'm thankful the currently she's snoozing next to me.

I have to ring her vet tomorrow to update on her progress, so hopefully they're happy with her. We are also making sure someone is home with her all the time, mainly for her sake so she doesn't get to upset.
Name: Jaffa
DOB: 26 Dec 2009
Breed: Maltese Shih Tzu
First Seizure: 18 Apr 2014
Last Seizure: 31 Jan 2016