Meet Cooper

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

CooperDuke

Meet Cooper

Post by CooperDuke » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Hello!

Cooper is a 6 year old Golden Retriever. He was surrendered to our local Golden Retriever Rescue Organization of which I am an active member fostering dogs. Cooper came to us when he was approximately 2 years old with seizures (surrendering family not sure of age, and he had never been to a veterinarian). After fostering him for about 3 months, I adopted him from the rescue. After his first vet visit he was started on phenobarb. His grand mal seizures came about every 6 -8 weeks. Over the years we have had to add additional meds and increase his dosage. He is currently on:

97.2 mg phenobarb 1.5 pills 2x day
Zonisamide 300 mg 3 pills 2x/day
Levetiracetam 1500 mg 2x/day
thyroxin - not sure of dosage

After each seizure he receives 60 mg diazapam, 97.2 mg phenobarb and 1500 mg Levetiracetam to prevent clustering. Whew, it's a lot of pills for my little man! we just increased his phenobarb about a month ago and unfortunately his seizures are again getting more frequent - about 2x/week. In December Cooper spent 3 days in the hospital, almost lost him that time. Thanks for having us - I'm hoping to gain some insight. he is also grain free because of allergies. He is such a sweet boy!

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Meet Cooper

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am

It says a lot about the kind of person you are that you would adopt a seizure dog. I'm sure Copper thanks you everyday:)
One of the most frustrating things about epilepsy is adjusting their meds. Usually just about the time you start thinking you found just the right combination.
Good luck with Cooper, and let us know how you are.

Lynne