Zander

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

brenzan

Zander

Post by brenzan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:05 pm

My Dachshund/Papillion mix breed 10 year old named Zander started having seizures on December 5, 2016. This is was a vary scary to watch and realize what was happing to him. I took him immediately to the vets where he was given valium and something to get him to relax along with ice packs since he was getting to warm. He has 5 more since then and last night having 2 in one day is not a good feeling. He seems better today. We have him on two anti seizures medications morning and evening. The seizures are lasting 2.5 to 3 minutes.

The feeling of helpless and not sure what to do to help them. I hoping talking to other will help be better feel not so alone in this new life Zander and I living in.

Brenzan

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Zander

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Brenzan,
When seizures start that feeling of helplessness and fear can be very overwhelming. I'm so sorry you're going through this. You're definitely not alone. Although there are many times it can feel that way.
Come here when you need to talk.

Take Care,
Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:22 am

Hi Brenzan and welcome to the boards. I think it's safe to say that we all remember those early days like they were yesterday and know how you must be feeling. I'm so sorry that you're having to watch Zander go through this and know what a helpless feeling it is. While I feel like I would be lying if I said it'll get better, I do believe we learn to adjust to a certain degree which makes it feel easier and allows us to enjoy the good days. It helps to take comfort in knowing that you're doing everything you possibly can for him. Keep us posted on how you all are doing.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

brenzan

Post by brenzan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Zander went 10 days between seizures, the last couple have gotten more intense what is the bad part I have no idea what triggered this one. In the 10 days he was without seizure he was acting like pre-seizure days. I hope it will be further apart next time.

Zander Mom

Lovelight

Post by Lovelight » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43 am

Hi, Zander is an awesome name. I am so sorry that he has seizures; it's very scary and overwhelming. Though it does take a while to find the right combinations of medicines they need, it is not an easy process, and it can get frustrating, and it's so hard, awful, scary, when we see them have the seizures. You're not alone.

This site has many lovely people who are wonderful to talk to, and there is a lot of helpful information. I have found good support here.

If you think his seizures are worse (more intense) and or are happening more frequently, you may want to think about making an appointment with a neurologist as soon as you can get one. Neurologists have more experiences with seizure dogs of all ages, and dogs who have all kinds of seizures. They might be able to suggest a better treatment plan, and it may help Zander the most for him to see a neurologist. Even if you call tomorrow to make an appointment, you may have to wait a couple weeks for him to actually be seen.

You may want to keep a seizure journal to document when he has seizures, document how many, how long they last, and describe them, as well as how he is afterwards, if you see him behave differently, or acting strange, or in a way you don't understand - especially after seizures have long stopped. It can be confusing, overwhelming, because dogs can be totally fine, as if nothing happened, between episodes.

I hope Zander's seizures do get further and further apart and that you have more success in treating his seizures. Let us know how you all are doing.