Introducing Honey

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Colleen B.

Introducing Honey

Post by Colleen B. » Wed May 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Hello Everyone,

We adopted Honey from the shelter 3 months ago. He is a 2 year old Labrador Retriever. The family that surrendered him reported he had been having seizures throughout the past year but they did not take him for medical attention. He has been experiencing grand mal clusters about every 3 weeks. We are on our 3rd combo of drugs now and have recently stepped it up to seeing a Neurologist. He is currently on:

Keppra 750mg 1 pill every 8 hours
Phenobarbital 30mg 3 pills every 12 hours

It has been nearly 2 weeks since the last cluster that sent us to the Emergency Vet. This is also when we added Phenobarbital to his regimen and so he is just now starting to to act like his old puppy self. It's tough not to be on edge all the time. He is just the greatest dog and we are committed to do everything we can to give him a stable and happy life. Looking forward to some shared information and community support!

Colleen B. and Honey D.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Introducing Honey

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:50 am

Hi Colleen and Honey,

I want to thank you for adopting a seizure dog. A lot of people would have run in the opposite direction. You're a very special person.
It sounds as though you may be on your way to controlling the clusters. If you can, sit down with the neurologist or vet and have them come up with an at home cluster regimen so you can try to manage them without going to the emergency room. We've worked with our vet over the years and she been very helpful with that. We give Jake extra Pb and a dose of Clorazepate after every seizure regardless. Plus we give extra Keppra for 5 days. If he clusters we add a little more Pb and Keppra throughout the first day, and maybe the second.
I think no matter how strong a person you are when it comes to seizures you can't help but be on edge. After a cluster seizure, even if you're walking around like a zombie, it's impossible. It does calm down when you get the routine figured out, and you'll actually find yourself occasionally realizing that you haven't thought about it for awhile. It's so hard to find a "normal", but I think it's the best we can do for our dogs. I had a very hard time with that one, but eventually it happened. But I still go right back to high alert after a cluster. You can't help it.
You're doing a wonderful thing for Honey. These dogs are so special. You'll bond on a level that's very hard for most people to understand. They thank you everyday for fighting for them, and you'll get it back ten fold.

Let us know how you're doing.
Take Care and Welcome,
Lynne

Colleen B.

Re: Introducing Honey

Post by Colleen B. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:40 am

Thank you for the encouraging letter Lynne! That is exactly what we need!
I am finding this site very helpful.

Colleen