Breeder new to epilepsy issues

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

workingkelpie

Breeder new to epilepsy issues

Post by workingkelpie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:06 am

I am a small scale breeder of Working Kelpies and a dog from my line has been diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. I would like to know how to be certain this diagnosis is correct so that I can take appropriate steps. I have two short videos, one the last part of a seizure and then the disoriented dog after the seizure stopped. Is there someone on this forum that could look at them for me?

Thanks

SpencerBhumi

Re: Breeder new to epilepsy issues

Post by SpencerBhumi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi WKelpie.

It is good of you to take this issue seriously and with responsibility. This shows good integrity in you as both a business and animal manager. I am sure you want to produce quality dogs that a) customers will value, and b) will prosper your business.

Most of us on this forum could look at a video and say ‘yes’ it is a seizure and ‘yes’ it is a post ictal behaviour but one video and our opinion cannot confirm that it is idiopathic epilepsy.
I’m not aware of a test which confirms idiopathic epilepsy but rather repeated seizure activity in the absence of any other logical/identifiable/reversible cause. Many things can cause seizures (poison, venom, food reaction, medical anomalies, virus, tumour etc) although if has gone this far it there is a higher chance could be idiopathic.

I would expect that as a breeder you would have a regular vet so I recommend you take your concerns and these videos to your vet for professional advice - and if needs be, they can refer you to more experienced clinicians. You probably should also need to have further discussion with the vet who has diagnosed this dog with idiopathic epilepsy, and maybe in consultation with your own vet (a round table conference, so-to-speak) so as to help prepare a plan of management in your kennel.

I wish you well in this ordeal (may your animals remain healthy and may your business prosper in your good integrity).

Regards,
Trevor.