seizures after vacines

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

akg

seizures after vacines

Post by akg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:04 am

Our 12 year old shepherd mix started having seizures right after her last round of booster vaccines, and I mean within 10 minutes. At first we thought it was a stroke, but then she started having seizures that was the same reactions after her boosters. They were every once in awhile, then more often. For awhile every day. The vet put her on Dilantin, and we have put her on a healthier diet with some supplements. Some are more severe than others, usually in the mornings. Has anyone else had their dog start after vaccines? Is the chemical formulation different than it was. She never had a reaction before.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: seizures after vacines

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm

There are a lot of vets that believe vaccines lower the threshold for seizures and just as many that don't feel that way. I know that's not much of an answer. Since your dog is 12 she shouldn't have needed anything but her rabies vaccine unless she's at high risk for distemper etc.
Is there a reason she isn't taking Phenobarbital?
I hope things gets better.

Lynne

akg

Re: seizures after vacines

Post by akg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 pm

she was taking phenobarbital, but was so unsteady and wobbly, the vet took her off that. We have done some research on supplements and hemp oil that looks like it could help.