hemp oil or CBD oil for seizures

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

akg

hemp oil or CBD oil for seizures

Post by akg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 pm

We have been doing some research on CBD oil for dogs to help with seizures. Has anyone tried that, it seems to help humans, or course, it doesn't have the THC that marijuana has.

Box40Rin

Re: hemp oil or CBD oil for seizures

Post by Box40Rin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:28 am

Good morning, I tried to answer you much earlier this month and this forum was not working properly. The IT guys have worked on it and it now seems to be functioning as it should.

I am one of the modertors and a retired veterinarian and also very interested in natural or alternative medicine. Try the CBD oil or is it CDB? Always get it wrong as I haven't personally used it. I do have a friend who swears by it. It won't hurt and could help. Keep us posted. We are interested. box40rin

jocasey

Post by jocasey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pm

hi -
I'm brand new at this - this is my first post. My shepherd mix started seizing about 6 months after I got him as a rescue, at 5 years old.

The first seizure seemed like a one off, but Riley has ramped up to weekend clusters about every 4 to 6 weeks since November 2017 to present.

I have tried CBD oil, up to 300mgs twice a day. But while I have heard great stories for everyone else, it does not seem to work for us. I thought for a time that maybe it was working, but I really think that it was wishful thinking.

I would like to see a more standardized way to give CBD and I wish that the Feds would back off this research. I suspect that CBD can be VERY helpful for some. I just think that Riley needs very LARGE doses. I do still give it to him as after care, hoping it helps. He does not like to taste it so I have to give it in food.

Riley has very violent seizures. Lots of foaming saliva and thrashing and slamming into the floor. He looses control of his bladder and staggers around drunkenly as he is recovering. He becomes clingy, often very hungry, and active - circling and checking everything in the house. The most he's had in a cluster is about 8 (I'm never sure if I miss any) over 3 days... so far.

not sure this info helps!

monicad2018

Post by monicad2018 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi,

I know this is an old post but I just joined and wanted to provide me experience with CBD. I have a nine year old Shiba Inu who was diagnosed with epilepsy close to 2 years ago. I believe I started giving him small doses of CBD oil in January 2017. From then until now, I have tried many different brands of CBD oil and capsules. There was a short time where I didn't think it helped and he ended up having a pretty violent seizure (his other ones were pretty mild in comparison). I give him Holistapet CBD capsules now and have noticed a difference in the severity and frequency of his seizures. I prefer this brand because it has a good dosage of active CBD (this is what you want to look for when researching) and is a reasonable price. The oil is absorbed quicker for dogs but I have found that I prefer the capsules because it's easier to know exactly what dosage I am giving my pup. The oils seem to have a wide weight range for each dosage so I was never quite sure just how much I was really supposed to give him. Hope this helps!

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Monicad2018 So you do give your dog the CBD capsules from Holisapet? I looked at that last night after I read your post. How big is your dog? Do you only give him one capsule a day?

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:13 pm

We have our german shepherd mix on Pet Releaf Hemp capsules. His last seizures, which was less than a week ago and he had 2 in one day, were just as violent. They were 5 hours apart, and both were intense. That was huge disappointment. BUT once he was on his feet, he was not as drunk, not falling over, although he was walking in to the walls and corners. He's 14, with weak hind legs, so falling over was not good. So at least that didn't happen either time.