introducing Gucci

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ecqlee

introducing Gucci

Post by ecqlee » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:26 am

I have a 7 year old maltese. Weighs 3.8kg . His seizures started last may 2017. He stiffened up and i thought he died. The vet initially thought it was a "one off" Seizure so he didnt prescribe anything and ran tests which all came back normal. Fast forward, its been a year and Gucci has been seizing every 3-4 weeks in clusters. Would normally take 2 diazepams before it would all stop. He was on keppra 250mg, 3x a day for about 10 months until he got into a really bad seizure which almost killed him. He was on propofol for a couple days in an oxygen box at the vets. They added phenobarbitol 2x a day. The vets recently added a small dose of potassium bromide. He still seizes but they only last for a minute or less and are not bad at all. I also started using ice during his seizures and it seems to be helping.
I was told that even with all these anti seizure meds, there is no guarantee that any dog would be seizure free. I guess my question is , he is already on his third AED, what if it still doesnt control the seizures, what else can be done? Any natural remedies we can add?

ShilohsMom

Re: introducing Gucci

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:44 am

I'm so sorry that you and Gucci are having to go through this. One of the hardest things about having a dog with seizures is that there isn't a one-size-fits-all. I have two friends that had dogs with seizures that were well controlled with PB. Shiloh on the other hand had been through every med he could take (he developed liver issues), acupuncture, herbal, etc. that they could do for him and nothing worked. Each dog is different and will respond differently so don't get discouraged. Hopefully you'll find the right combo of things that will help Gucci.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

monicad2018

Re: introducing Gucci

Post by monicad2018 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi!
I have a 9 year old shiba inu that was diagnosed with epilepsy almost 2 years ago. Like Gucci, mine is also on multiple seizure meds and still has seizures. He's currently on phenobarbital (1.25 of 30 mg tablets twice a day), Keppra (500 mg tablets twice a day), and potassium bromide (1.3 ML once a day). I have been giving him CBD capsules in addition to these three meds. I prefer CBD because it is all natural and I have noticed a difference in the severity and frequency of his seizures. He used to have 4 a month and now he's down to 2 a month. You may want to look into CBD oil/capsules since it is a more natural approach and can be used in addition to the meds he's already on.