CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Helping Tanner naturally
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:06 pm 

Tanner had a small seizure today. I knew it was coming because of the heart worm prevention med we had to give him Friday. Anyone have any idea of a natural heart worm prevention program?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:39 am 

I'm sorry to hear that Tanner had a seizure. We were told from the beginning not to use heartworm meds. When Jake started seizing there was only a couple of options and both caused seizures. So they were out. Through the years I think a few more have come on the market but I'm not familiar with them. We had no choice in the beginning so we've done everything to prevent and repel mosquitoes as much as we possibly can. We use Emu oil spray on him to repel, and there are environmentally friendly granules you can use for your the yard. We live in the south so they can be a big problem. I don't like not using heart worm meds and some here have used them without a problem, but Jake's refractory so the risk is really high for seizures. It's really scary.
I hope Tanner is okay.

Lynne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:09 pm 

Thanks you Jacobs mom. What are the granules for the yard called?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:44 pm 

We use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Dunks-1 ... B0001AUF8G

We use the dunks for birdbaths, and our small pond. They really do help.

Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:26 pm 

I am doing some research on heartworm prevention. I found this article. Seems I am over medicating my dog giving it to them year round. I have decided to stop the heartworm meds on Tanner. get 3 bat houses and 2 dynatraps. Here is the article I read about heartworm prevention meds. http://www.acuvet.com/userfiles/1219520 ... ention.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:34 pm 

It was very interesting for me to read about your natural approach. I have been very cautious with Deacon and his shots because his first seizure came after a round of shots a year ago. I feel very funny to be pro vaccination in humans but not completely ok with all the vaccines they want to give my dog. I'm about to try some essential oils with my pup. As I find his medicine not helping I'm trying to find natural ways to help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:53 pm 

Deacons mom. I am able to help Tanner naturally because I am keeping a diary of everything he is exposed to. I have been very fortunate to find his triggers as I go along. I am hoping to go another 57 or more days without a seizure. We are trying a new food with him, fresh Salmon, keeping our fingers crossed. The diary is the key.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 am 

Hello everyone. Here is an update on Tanner. He had the small seizure on 2/26/2017 peanut butter smell.. He had another small seizure on 3/6/2017 again with the peanut butter smell. The big seizure smell terrible, big difference. I hear it will take 3 weeks to get him used to the heart worm pill. We never had a problem before because we always gave him the pill 2 days after a seizure. He will not be getting anymore heart worm pills. We bought 3 bat houses and will be getting the unit that is all natural and doesn't emit a sound. it attracts the mosquitoes with Co2 and sucks them is and they die. Fingers crossed. As of now Tanner is 11 days seizure free.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:19 pm 

Have you looked into using essential oils to repel mosquitos as well?

Last seizure: 06/27/16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 am 

I've been using coconut oil on my dog's fur for quite a while now. When we go outside, I don't see any flies or mosquitoes going on her, but maybe it's not warm enough where I am. I however, will encounter a fly, but her, none. No fleas on her since using it either and we have cats who have them (still trying to find a product that works on them, they are not adults yet and what we have only works so much).

Vita Coco Coconut oil (it is a solid at room temperature) is what I have (Walmart, under 8 dollars). It's natural, cold pressed, virgin and not processed and non-toxic to dogs. IDK if yours will be sensitive to coconut smell, as you have stated that Tanner is sensitive to peanut butter.

Be careful with essential oils, though, as some are not good for dogs, and some natural remedies have contraindications with seizure medicines. You may want to research interactions with herbal/natural remedies with medicines beforehand. Like with phenobarbital-> bitter almond, sage, cedar leaf and cedarwood oil, elecampane, eucalyptus, evening primrose oil, gotu kala, ginko biloba, hops, kava kava, lemon balm, english lavender, german chamomile, st. john's whort, valerian, wild carrot, wild lettuce, yarrow are all contraindicated. (There is more, but just to give you an idea).(The Essential Herb-Drug-Vitamin Guide). Some natural remedies for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes have lemon balm and cedarwood or cedar leaf concoctions.

Happy to hear Tanner is doing better. :) Hope you can find something that works for Tanner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:20 pm 

Hello everyone. Tanner had a seizure after 33 days. The cause was one of two things or maybe both things. Cause # 1 My Parrot Harley who I had since she was a baby 16 years ago, died last night, I was very upset which upset Tanner and his brother. Cause # 2 the fridge alarm went off for a while before we noticed it. He was very upset about that as well. At least he made it pass the month mark.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:16 am 

Your posts are very helpful. Thank you for sharing.

My dog, a German Shepard mix, has had seizures since he was about a year old. He was on Keppra, pheno and K-Bro. On July 4th this year he went into status epilictic (or whatever it is called). He had over 20 grand mals in approximately 48 hours, and he had severe facial ticking, etc. He spent 2 full days at the vet and I only brought him home after they said there was nothing else to do.

Now I am using only medical marijuana products and he seems to be coming back to himself. He has had one grand mal on July 25 (early July 26). The facial ticking has stopped and he seems to be doing well. I am not putting him back on those meds, so I will be trying some of your suggestions. All in all, the meds never stopped his seizures, and the Vet thinks some of the problem was pheno toxicity. I just can't go backwards, here.

He has suffered some brain damage, I think, but nothing we can't work with.

I appreciate your info very much. Thank you.

First seizure July 1, 2013
Last Seizure July 26, 2017
PhenoBar, 1 grain, 2x daily
Keppra, 750 mg, 2x daily
KBro, 750 mg, 2x daily
CBD/thc only since July 8, 2017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:06 pm 

nice. my world

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:16 am 

There are different varieties of dogs and I don’t know the name of these breeds. My family members don't like any pets and so I don’t know how people love these creatures. Anyway, their videos are very funny and nice to see.affordable health clinic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:17 am 

There are different varieties of dogs and I don’t know the name of these breeds. My family members don't like any pets and so I don’t know how people love these creatures. Anyway, their videos are very funny and nice to see.affordable health clinic