Speckles 2007-09-28 to 2018-05-30

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ezod52

Speckles 2007-09-28 to 2018-05-30

Post by ezod52 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:58 am

We lost our baby girl Speckles this morning.

She started seizures around age 2 and we spent several years dealing with horrible clusters and nearly put her to sleep several times during that stretch.

About 5 years ago we finally got her seizures under control with high doses of Zonisimide, some Pheno and Thyroid medication. We knew eventually she would develop health problems we couldn't control but we were not prepared for this morning.

Last week we weighed her and realized she lost about a pound in the past month. We took her for bloodwork, which showed some very high liver indicators and high blood sugar. Follow up urinalysis showed she was diabetic and suffering ketoacidosis. We hospitalized her yesterday to deal with the ketoacidosis and start her on insulin. When we left her at the vet we never imagined it would be the last time we would see her. Over night she developed difficulty breathing and her lungs filled with fluid. This morning around 8 am she expired. I couldn't believe it.

It's a very sad time for us. I still don't know what to think about her last 24 hours and they will haunt me forever, but her epilepsy control is still a success story to me. Early on she would have 5 grand mals in a night... several times a week. It was torture. I remember we took her for an MRI on my birthday probably 8 years ago... we were desperately trying to figure out what caused the seizures to figure out how to control them. At that point, I never thought we would get another 8 years of our beautiful little girl in our home. We never found any root cause but eventually got the meds right.

We are devastated but i would like to thank the members of this forum for advice and support when we were trying to get Speckles seizures under control. I wish you all the best with all your pets.

Joe and Kathy

SpencerBhumi

Re: Speckles 2007-09-28 to 2018-05-30

Post by SpencerBhumi » Thu May 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Dear Joe & Kathy,

I am sorry to hear of the death of Speckles.

You have fought long and hard to keep Speckles well in this disease. Sadly, death is inevitable and no-one can prevent it but the love and care you gave Speckles to the end is abundantly clear – a great picture of what amazing people you are.

Your measure of grief reflects your measure of love. Time will ease your grief but your love will always remain. You will walk away from this experience stronger and wiser people but more importantly, soon, you will happily look back with fond memories of all the great times you and Speckles shared together.

Indeed Speckles is a success story and you should take a lot of comfort in knowing just how hard you have worked
to achieve this.

Wishing you well and a quick heartfelt recovery from this grief.

Sincerely,
Trevor.
In memory of Spencer 7-12-2005 – 22-8-2017

ezod52

Post by ezod52 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:19 am

Thank you Trevor for your kind words.

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:23 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Speckles. I am glad that you were able to control this terrible disease, but losing her that way I know is so very hard.
I hope you will find comfort knowing that when you fight so hard for your dog's life they know it, and love you as deeply as you love them. Our vet told us that she firmly believes that Jake wanted to make sure there would never be any "what if's" so he left us with no other choice but to let him go.
I know the next few months will be very difficult, but eventually you will start remembering the silly and happy times and catch yourself smiling again.

Please take care of yourselves.
Lynne

ezod52

Post by ezod52 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:27 am

Thank you Lynne.

Throughout her life I always dreaded having to make the final decision to put her down and knew it would haunt me no matter how sick she seemed - i never expected she would leave us unexpectedly like this and we wouldn't even be there. It breaks my heart.

Looking back at old photos is painful now but makes me smile a bit through the tears.