Great news for our Aussie Shepherd !

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Scrannel

Great news for our Aussie Shepherd !

Post by Scrannel » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 am

We've had Buddy for about four years and about a year and a half ago he began having seizures. He went on phenobarbital but he was still having a couple of bouts (sometimes more) a week. Also, he would wander around the house as if constantly agitated. Now, before his seizures he was a gung-ho Aussie (a trait he never lost even with seizures). Anyway... long story... I asked my wife if Buddy had any seizures before we took him off beef ribs. Something I used to give him a couple times a week until my wife felt I was going to make him fat. So, that day I put him back on beef ribs and the transformation was nothing short of staggering. It is, really, impossible to describe. Fur glossy and soft; eyes more clear; sleeping through the night and... no more seizures.

So... I went on line and saw that the ketogenic diet (which I had suggested to my wife) was now, indeed, being used for dogs. But as geology major (with emphasis in vertebrate paleontology), I was stunned to read that the "dog community" had ad-hoc reclassified the dog as an omnivore. The dog is a carnivore. It needs animal fat and animal meat. Beef probably is best. Now, even my wife believes me. And, Buddy is the happiest dog on earth!

BTW, this is how the ketogenic diet works:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 141700.htm

Scrannel

Re: Great news for our Aussie Shepherd !

Post by Scrannel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:29 am

BTW, of course we are working with our Vet and have kept him on his meds. We may, with supervision, decrease the meds in abut 6 months if he remains seizure free.

ShilohsMom

Re: Great news for our Aussie Shepherd !

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:39 am

That's amazing that you've found something that works!!!! So happy for you.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16