My Boys - Cosmo & Jackson

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Liz Hansen
Site Admin

My Boys - Cosmo & Jackson

Post by Liz Hansen » Thu Nov 18, 1999 6:48 pm

The 2 epi boys living with me are the "poster children" you may see in the "Living With Epilepsy" section of this site - Jackson and Cosmo. Both of these boys are happy and enjoying life to the fullest! Cosmo has gone 13 months seizure-free, had 2 short seizures, and now has a perfect record for the last 9 months! We're still working on the "perfect" combination for Jackson, but currently he is seizure-free since 8-31-99, his longest streak ever since he began having seizures. These boys enjoy being their usual wacky, goofy, full-of-baloney selves wherever we go, and are fun to have around! Getting to this point wasn't easy, but I am much more relaxed now that things are going smoothly. These boys and their extended families are part of the research project that we all hope will find useful answers for dogs and owners in the future. For those of you new to the roller-coaster ride of epilepsy, keep trying, keep learning, and most of all, celebrate the victories!

Liz Hansen
Site Admin

Post by Liz Hansen » Sat Dec 04, 1999 9:35 pm

Well, I have to report that Jackson broke his streak today with a seizure this afternoon - at least it was 2pm instead of the 2am that he seems to choose most of the time. Fortunately it was not bad, and he recovered quickly. Starting the count at 1 day again!

A Smith

Post by A Smith » Mon Dec 06, 1999 2:43 pm

I am so glad there is a site such as this. I have been living with epilepsy in my little long coat chihuahua, Rosie, for about two years now.

The first time she had a seizure I thought she was dying.She is a show dog so I was especially concerned with her when she had one at a show allthough there did not seem to be any pattern to her seizing (ie stress, heat, etc.). When she started to seize about every two weeks we put her onto the phenobarbitol and I am soooo glad we did.

She has a quality of life that she did not have before. She now plays and runs and acts like a regular doggie. I have not noticed any side-effects from the medication at all. As of last month she has been on it a year and it still seems she is improving.

I think the discussion forum is wonderful and I hope to be able to pass on any information that I have learned or any experiances we have dealt with.

Liz,

I don't know if it is the same for all breeds but I know Rosie still has a seizure about every two months. I am always hopeful that one day they will go away and like you - I have my count down.

Angela

A Smith

Post by A Smith » Thu Dec 09, 1999 10:25 pm

Well the count down begins again - Rosie had another seizure on Tuesday Image

Angela

Liz Hansen
Site Admin

Post by Liz Hansen » Wed Dec 29, 1999 9:41 pm

Phooey! Cosmo broke his seizure-free streak of 10 months yesterday. It's hard to complain about one every 10-13 months, but it's still a disappointment every time they have one more. Jackson had another cluster of 4 on the 22nd, and I know several other dogs having problems recently, so maybe there's something in the air...

At least these 2 buys of mine bounce right back to being happy - it's me that worries and feels bad! Well, start counting once again!!

Liz

cdimon

Post by cdimon » Sat Apr 29, 2000 1:39 pm

Liz,
My husband found a link to this site in MUSHING Magazine. We had a Mackenzie River Husky (large freighting husky) that started having grand-mal seizures at 1.5 years old. We immediately took him to the vet and ran tons of test only to be told he had idiopathic epilepsy. We medicated him with phenobarbitol, potassium bromide and DMG. We never fully controled the seizures. He had a good stretch of about four months without seizures and was able to spend one more winter on the dog team as a participating member of the team. We experienced many cluster seizures and had him on a twice daily dose of 200 mg of phenobarbitol. He was a 108 lbs. We did not see the seditive side effects, he was one of the few that was aggitated and constantly on the go with the medication. But, anything under the 200 mgs would allow breakthru seizures to occur. We were able to have him bless our life for almost a year after the seizures started. At the time the epilepsy was discovered, I looked for a web site with information such as I have now found here. I wish this info had been out there when we started going thru the experience. I am going to pass this website on to my vet and several others who will find the information very interesting as I have. Thank you for the time you are putting into the research of canine epilepsy.

Cathy Dimon
North Pole, Alaska

Liz Hansen
Site Admin

Post by Liz Hansen » Mon May 01, 2000 9:30 am

Hi Cathy,
Thank you for your compliments on the site - we're pleased that people are finding the information useful and usable. Canine epilepsy is frightening and frustrating to live with, as anyone who has been through it knows all too well. It's our hope that by making information available, dogs affected with this condition can live better, happier lives, and through the research we can find ways to see that fewer and fewer dogs are affected in the future. Thank you for passing along the site information to your vet - that may help other dogs being treated at that clinic. It's also nice to know where information about the site is appearing - I hadn't known it was in MUSHING magazine, but glad it was!

Sorry to hear about your dog - it's always hard to lose a friend, and I know the bond between mushers and their dogs is very close. Hopefully you will not need this information in the future, but we're here just in case you do!

Liz Hansen