Epilepsy for 13 years.

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Sean N. Shannahan

Epilepsy for 13 years.

Post by Sean N. Shannahan » Sat Jul 22, 2000 5:53 pm

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that this sight is great, and I wish that my parents and I had seen it years ago when my dog first started having seizures.

Frisky is a mixed breed terrier who is 13 years old. She had her first seizure at around 1.5 years old. We thought that she was having a heart attack!! After the first seizure she continued to have many clusters of grand mal seizures for days on end. We were all so upset because she was not having a quality life, so we thought we'd have to put her down. Eventually however our vet believed her epilepsy to be hereditary and put her on phenobarbital. she has been great ever since. She probably has about 1 seizure every five or six months, but it doesn't last long and she pops right out of it. This is a far cry from what she was like at the beginning (the constant pacing after the seizure and her stupor) and so we are pretty happy. I would just like to say to those other people who have dogs with epilepsy: don't give up on your dog if it has "controllable" epilepsy. You wouldn't believe the number of people who told us that we should get Frisky put down!! She has been living a great life for 13 years now, and there has been no noticable side effects from the phenobarbital.

The only thing that we have noticed with her is that for the last year or so, she has an occassional tremor or twitch with her head, but we believe this to be slight brain damage from her years of seizures, and so we aren't too concerned.

Thanks alot, and good luck to everyone else!!