Success story

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Post Reply
Loma I. Clark
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Yuma, Az. USA

Success story

Post by Loma I. Clark » Mon Dec 11, 2000 1:42 pm

On Weds. Dec. 6th my Irish Setter, 5 year old bitch woke me having a seizure and with the information I had learned from the Epil-K9 list, Rescue Remedy and Liquid Valium I was able to stop the seizures she was having and get her back to sleep within a hour and a half. I was so proud of myself to not have to wake my Vet. and rush her into the clinic.

I had learned to rub the RR into the inter ear flap and to use the valium rectally and give her some honey and another KBr capsule and instead of 3 or more hours of seizures she was out of it within 45 min's. This was also the first time she had seizure I didn't end up crying. I'm sure that was a help to her also.

She usually goes about 10 months between seizures so I have it so much easier than most people. Just wish I knew what "sets" her off. It was a normal day, with the normal food and nothing out of the normal happening around the house. Not even a full moon!

Well, just thought I'd like to share the good news. After 3 1/2 years I'm finally learning how to help my dog.

I appreciate this list also,
Loma and Red Friends, Irish of course!

Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2001 1:01 am
Location: San Diego, Ca, USA

Post by LaurieMoe » Thu Jan 18, 2001 2:08 pm

I wanted to share my good news here. My wire haired fox terrier came down with epilepsy @ the ripe ol' age of almost 5 years on last Thanksgiving day. I didn't want to accept that fact so we ran the gambit of all other possiblities. He had an MRI, spinal tap, every single blood test imaginable. We covered all bases put him on steroids, antibiotics, potasium bromide. He didn't have any more seizures, but developed side effects from something? His nose began to bleed, huge volcano like leasions on his back, very high fever, and just one night(thank goodness)he stayed up all night twitching. Thought he was a gonner.

Anyhow, long story short. Oscar got off all of the afore mentioned drugs, and began taking only phenobarbitol 30 mgs, every 12 hours. He has slowly, every day, gotten better and stronger.

He is now leaping off the porch to chase cats again, ripping apart his toys, and being his very usual terrible terrier self!!

We did our first healthy follow up with his neurologist yesterday. It was so good to see him without big dark clouds over head. He's amazed @ how great he looks and how well he is doing.

He's advised me that it wont hurt to give Oscar milkthistle (?) I think to clean his liver. I got this info off the board. I'm having such a problem with giving him the pheno because of all the bad stuff I hear about it. Little dogs do better with epilipsy, and I hope also with the pheno.

Other good news is that we are going to try to wean him off the pheno over a 1 year period. He has to be seisure free for 6 mo.s and we can reduce pheno 25%, then after only another 2 mo.s seizure free, reduce another 25%. That makes me the happiest.

I'm trying so hard to treat him as I did pre-epilepsy condition. But it was a very traumatic experience to go through, and I'm so over protective!!

Oscar's weight is a concern, and the vet did also advise about carrots, vegies and such. We'll have to put some extra excersize in his day!

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Thousand Oaks CA

Post by maxye » Sat Feb 17, 2001 7:53 pm

Casey, our purebred Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, began having seizures just after we got her at the age of six months. She had previously been placed in another home, but had problems staying housebroken. The new owner called the breeder and said, "She's not housebroken, and no amount of beating seems to help." The breeder immediately retrieved the dog and gave him his money back. We were on a waiting list, so we got her. Of course, I think the beating caused the epilepsy, which the breeder insisted she knew nothing about, and none of her other dogs were epileptic. I almost didn't realize what was happening when she had her first one; we were outside and I didn't really see her closely. A few days later she was acting odd and then had another one. Each time she took about 30 minutes to an hour to appear normal. The seizures were typical, I now know--she would usually fall on her side, salivate heavily and shake. Then she would lie quietly and eventually struggle to get back on her feet. The night after the second seizure (we were planning to take her to the vet the next morning), she began to have one seizure after another. As soon as the vet's office opened, we hurried over, and they prescribed phenobarbital, administered immediately after a seizure until the seizures stopped. (I'm a bit foggy on these details, it was 8 1/2 years ago.) And that's the success story; she has had almost no seizures since. We are away from the house all day, but I think we could tell if she had any while we were gone. She had a doozy right in the vet's office about four years ago, but I guess the occasional one will happen. She does have quite an appetite, but is very active, so she stays within her desired weight range. We were feeding table scraps, but the excess fat brought on pancreatitis (also about four years ago--maybe that's what caused the seizure at the vets!) so that stopped immediately. One of the things we did notice was that before treatment she was a bit lethargic, but perked up noticeably on medication. She receives a low dosage morning and evening. We call Casey our "dumb blonde" because she isn't the brightest dog in the world, but she's very affectionate and we're thrilled to have rescued her. She couldn't be bred because she wasn't show quality, and I think the breeder would have put her down if we hadn't been willing to take her and then keep her after we found out about her handicap.

Post Reply