board sure is quiet

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Dylans Dad

board sure is quiet

Post by Dylans Dad » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:37 am

I`m hoping thats a good thing.
Tux still counting?
have a happy & safe 4th of july(without triggering the monster)
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:14 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. I too hope everyone's pups are doing well and that the 4th doesn't cause to many problems.
Casey is on day 17 and when I went looking for him earlier today, he was laying back behind the wood burning stove, so this isn't a good sign. :(
He only goes back there when the seizures are on the way normally within a 3-5 period, darn it! Maybe we will get lucky this time. Take care everyone and have a safe and quiet holiday.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Jackson was vomiting hourly for 12 hours after a seizure on Friday so i took him to emergency vet who diagnosed aspiration pneumonia and megaesophagus. He's on anti-biotics now and is better. I believe he is having a bad reaction to KBr again which caused the vomiting and he got vomit in his lung during the seizure.

I'd never heard of megaesophagus before. Found a forum like this one devoted to MegaE and you guys wouldn't believe what these dogs go through. I'm sure Jackson has a very very mild case of it because most of the dogs on the website cannot eat or drink without vomiting (actually regurgitating, which is different). So the dogs must be kept in a vertical position while eating and digesting their food, and they must be fed numerous times per day. By vertical position i mean they need gravity to get the food from mouth to stomach (esophagus doesn't work properly) so the dogs are put in weird chairs in a "begging" position for many hours per day!

In any case, Jackson doesn't have any of this regurg/vomit problem usually so i don't think this will be a big issue. The reason this is important to us here is that there are quite a few dogs on that site who also have epilepsy. There don't seem to be many hard facts available but some people think there is a link between epilepsy and megaesophagus and KBr.

Anyway, just another thing for us to spend our lives worrying about in case anyone was getting bored.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

suejacksoncarr

Post by suejacksoncarr » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:10 am

Thats interesting Kurt.

When Scholtz was having problems with KBr and vomitting we did not know which tablets were still in him and which weren't so when he started heaving I used to hold his head right back and sit behind him and cuddle him until the heaves stopped - the food used to go back down eventually.

I din't realise that what I was doing was actually based on a medical fact!!

Hope all your pups are coping and that you will all have a peaceful holiday in the USA.

Sue
Scholtz - German Shepherd
10th June, 2004 to 9th March, 2007

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:36 am

Kurt,

I'm so sorry that Jackson now has another problem. In my breed (Irish Setters) MegeE is a big problem. My previous Irish had laryngeal paralysis and aspiration pneumonia was always a concern. I hope you can keep Jackson comfy.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Zoey Grace

Post by Zoey Grace » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:37 am

Wishing you and all your furry friends a happy (and healthy) 4th! Hope the day is uneventful for all our epi pets.

So sorry to hear about Jackson, I hope he's doing okay. Good luck to you!

Juliana
Zoey Grace
Lab/Beagle Mix
2 yrs, 32 lbs
First Seizure: 01/03/07
Last Seizure: Hopefully was 05/04/07

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm

sending positive thoughts and strenth to you and Jackson.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:06 pm

Kurt,
I'm sorry to hear Jackson was having such problems. That sound horrible for the poor fellow. Hope things are better now. Sending many thoughts and prayers your way.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:34 pm

Thanks all, he is doing fine. No seizures or vomiting since Friday, and the pneumonia doesn't have any outward symptoms but he has to stay on antibiotics for maybe 4-6 weeks. Saw the neurologist today and we decided to wean him off the KBr quite quickly because it could easily be the cause of some of these problems, and it's never seemed to help control his seizures anyway. All seems good to me.
died March '08

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:53 am

Good to hear that Tux is on the mend - he's been through so much recently.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Tux1

Post by Tux1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:22 pm

We fell off at 14 days again last Sunday. But staying at that 14 day time frame is much better then 7 seizures every 9 days. we are already about to hit day 5 again though.
Tux 4 year old Border Collie (epi)
Alqa 4 y/o sister Border Collie
1st Seizure 02/18/2007
RIP Tux 01.01.10

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:57 pm

My dog was at 14 days for quite a while until the vet tweeked her PB a wee bit and then she went out to 9 weeks. Is it possible for the vet to maybe increase the PB a bit.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:22 pm

Jackson had xrays again yesterday and his megaesophagus has disappeared, which is very good news. I didn't really participate on the MegaE forum too much because he had such a mild case, but it was a real eye opener to hear the stories there. Eight dogs died in the past 2 weeks over there. I just kept thinking thank God Jackson only has a bad case of epilepsy because this MegaE thing is really grim, and yet those people learn to deal with it just like we do with epilepsy.

The interesting thing was this: I think many if not most of us have had reactions from friends/acquaintances where they think we should put our dogs to sleep, and we get really indignant because they don't understand or know what they're talking about. Well, I found myself thinking the same thing about these people with MegaE dogs, like a lot of them should put their dogs to sleep because the dogs are suffering too much. And yet I'm not there, i don't see the dogs, and i don't really know what goes on.

It's hard to know when the time is right. There's this cliche about how the dog will let you know when it's time, but don't bet on it. I remember the first dog i ever had....about 10 minutes after having him put to sleep i realized i had waited way too long, and i swore i would never do that to another dog, and i don't think i have, yet.

Just rambling here on a Friday night. Don't get me wrong, Jackson is doing great and enjoying life and the future seems bright.
died March '08

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:57 am

It is a very hard discion to make, you always end up second guessing your self, did I give up to soon? was there something else I could have done?
or why did I make them suffer so long for my own selfishness.
but it is those feelings that make us the pet owners that we are.
haveing an epi dog has changed the way I think about pet ownership alot.
at the worste time last fall, we had "the thought" but decided to give it another shot and some more time. and boy am I glad we did.you can`t help someone else make that choice, you can just be there for them when they do.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:00 am

oh, got to rambleing myself and forgot to say I`m glad Jackson is doing better
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan