board sure is quiet

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Tux1

Post by Tux1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Sorry we have been away again for some time. We have been very busy with life in general and unfortunately Tux has taken some major steps backwards lately. We went only 8 days followed by 10 days only to hit 1 day. He had never had siezures on back to back days EVER and this hit Friday and then again on Saturday. Fridays were pretty severe and they were the first ones that happened when both Vanessa and I werent here. My cousin had to help him out of them and so we think that this episode caused the siezure on Saturday. We have been very strapped for additional funds to bring Tux in for more blood work but we plan on getting him in sometime in the next 2 weeks. Hope all is well with everyone elses pups.

God bless
Joe and Vanessa
Tux 4 year old Border Collie (epi)
Alqa 4 y/o sister Border Collie
1st Seizure 02/18/2007
RIP Tux 01.01.10

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:08 pm

so sorry for poorTux, I have been wondering about him and how he was doing. I sure gets tough to keep up on the expence.I`m bypassing the garbage bill this week for Dylans meds. and he should have a blood test againg, but that just isn`t in the budget this month.
keeping him in my thoughts
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:21 pm

Sorry to hear about Tux. I sure understand the expense related to epi dogs. I put mine on the charge card, I don't usually have the ready cash for tests and hospital bills that come up.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi Joe - it's a real bummer when things like this happen.
You need to look back on what has happened over the last few weeks to determine if anything has changed too much. Epi dogs seem like they like to live in a rut and everyday activities need to be the same for them.
Have you had a thyroid test done?
Check back on meds too - it may be time for them to be tweeked a bit.
Hang in there ..
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:42 pm

Joe, i just read a bunch of your previous posts because my memory for details is no good. Tux is really not doing well. Jackson has seizures more often than Tux but there's a big difference...Jackson doesn't have clusters and Tux does.

I was trying to figure out how much of the drugs Tux is on. It looks like 130mg of Pb twice a day, and some amount of KBr that i don't understand....sounded like 2ml per day but not sure how many mg per ml, you said something about 400mg (per day?, per ml?)?? And he weighs 54lbs.

That's quite a bit of Pb, but it all depends on what his Pb blood level is. If it's less than 35-40 I'd increase the dose. Other people here use lots of KBr and have good results.

I guess what i'm saying is that i think your only avenue left is an increase in the drugs, unless they are truly at max levels which can only be determined by blood tests. I understand if the money isn't available then there's not much you can do, but drugs and blood tests are a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room which i wouldn't be surprised to see happen if Tux continues the way he is.

Truthfully, it appears that the drugs are not working very well for Tux, just like they don't work very well for Jackson. To quote the neurologist, "About 70-80% of dogs with idiopathic epilepsy that we see here have improved seizure control, and about 20-30% are never well controlled despite our best efforts." Note also that the neurologist sees the worst cases so it's not the same as saying that 20-30% of all epileptic dogs won't be well controlled.

Six months ago i had pretty much resigned myself to thinking that Jackson had only a few months to live, at most. I decided that since he was going to die anyway, i might as well increase the drugs and take the risk of liver disease and other side effects, in the hopes that the drugs might help. It's been up and down but generally he's doing quite a bit better and sometimes i imagine he could live many more years like this, although i'm realistic enough to know that anything can happen at any time.

Ok, finally, here's the bottom line if it was me. I'd get the Pb blood level tested and i'd increase the Pb if the level is less than 40. Or maybe just ask the vet what the level was last time he checked....has the dose been increased since then? The KBr, i'd increase it and watch for bad side effects. DISCLAIMER FOR CASUAL READERS: This is last resort type of advice and could be dangerous and many people (experts included) might think it's really bad advice! All i have to say to that is, drastic situations call for drastic measures.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

Tux1

Post by Tux1 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:49 pm

We have been trying to figure out if anything changed but we cant see anythign that we have done differently except my parents being in town a week ago but they have also been gone for a week this is the first episode since they were here. Nothing happened while they were here. One before and then the ones afterwards. Other then that Nothing has been different. He has been on the same dosage of meds for about 2 months now. We will be getting him in soon for more blood work and I think we will be having it sent to Dr. Dodds this time. I spoke with her a while back and I feel that getting her involved would be a smart thing also.

Thank you all
1st Seizure 02/18/2007
RIP Tux 01.01.10

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Joe,
I'm really sorry that Tux is having problems. We are sort of in the same boat right now. Casey has had 4 seizures in 3 days and I wish this would end soon. I'm afraid we may have to try the Zonegran, as much as I hate to think about going there. The Chlorazapate seemed to be working for a while, but this time it doesn't seem to be helping much. Please keep us posted on how Tux is doing and hope you see improvement very soon.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:46 pm

It's weird that things are calm for a while and then all hell breaks loose.
Can't be the moon this time as it is not full at the moment.

Joe - get the test forms off the epi-guardian angels site and then the vet will know exactly how she wants the samples taken and treated for the best results.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:21 am

Joe

I'm so sorry that Tux is having such a hard time at the moment, I hope that you can get his seizures under control soon.

Good luck
Mandy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Tux1

Post by Tux1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:52 pm

We have tried blameing it on everything this whole time. And I have documented every thing since it started hopeing I could see something like the moon or a storm or something that would trigger these horrible things and honestly I cant see it. We repaired our relationship thinking it was causeing problems with him and though we made it to 15 days and broke our record it still wasnt us that caused the problem as we both have gotten along better then when we first met. Life doesnt seem fair for Tux at times and I question at times if his life is not good enough but then I watch him play out in the yard with his rope or balls and he makes us laugh and smile so much as you see how much fun he can have all by himself. There is NO way i could ever end his life as he is way to happy even with all this bad inside of him. God intended us to take care of this little boy then we will do what we can. But the tears may never stop.

God bless
1st Seizure 02/18/2007
RIP Tux 01.01.10

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:11 pm

Joe - the tears will never stop. These dogs have been given to us for some reason and one day we might find out what that reason was - although I think you may have already answered it for yourself.
KiKi came into my life when I really needed someone and she left just as quickly, but the change in my life is forever.
You need to be strong for Tux as the others need to be strong for their dogs.
Sorry but screen is going blurry now.
As we say in New Zealand --- Kia Kaha ---- be strong
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Joe,

Everyone on this board shares your pain. We all love our pups and want to help them, that's why we come to places like this searching and searching for the magic wand. I don't know why some beings are born with epilepsy and others are not, but for some reason all of us here have been dealt a hand and we're all doing the best we can. I look at my boy, my beautiful boy, and wonder why he has to have pills shoved down his throat everyday and I wonder if he'll live out a normal lifespan. Everyone tells me that it's the quality of life I'm giving him that counts, but I have a hard time with that. All the dogs in the world deserve more than they get. None of our kids deserve this damned epilepsy and the weak legs or the thirst and hunger they experience from the medications that are helping them. Life sucks, but we have to keep going.

I'm so glad to hear you say that you see happiness in Tux and you want to keep trying because you love him. He deserves that and so much more.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:12 pm

Joe,
I truly sympathize with you and understand just how you feel. Casey has had 5 seizures now since Sat., last night at 10:00 p.m. being the worst one I have witnessed yet, and I just knew he wasn't going to come out of it. Thankfully he did, but that is my worst fear right now, going into status.
I could cry right along with you and as you say, if feels as if the tears will never end. I have thought to myself many a time as we are going thru this, why does this have to happen to our special pets. Casey is just the sweetest guy and to see him so drugged up right now just breaks my heart and on the days when he is back to his old self, I just love it. To see how happy he can be tossing his toys in the air and playing just makes me love him that much more. I truly want to give him the best possible life and know that we all have been given these "special" pets for a reason. I have tried figuring out what sets the seizures off until I have a splitting headache and have just accepted the fact, there is no rhyme or reason, it just happens. I agree "life sucks sometimes" but we have to be strong and just do the very best we can and be even stronger when the time comes and we have to make that dreadful decision. I like so many others will do every thing in my power to give him the best I can and make his time here with me special until we must part.
Hang in there Joe. You, I, Tux and Casey are just going thru a rough time right now so I'm going to send really good thoughts for us and anyone else who needs it that we are going to see improvement real soon.
Give Tux a big hug from me and please keep us posted.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:50 pm

You guys are not alone here. I think all of us are sending as much strength and positive thoughts as we can for you all.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:46 am

its not right, or fair that these poor pups who have never done a thing should have to suffer with this.
and plese don`t drive yourself nuts trying to figure out the what. I don`t think there are any whats. the brain just says now is the time.
so glad casey pulled out of it. I know how you feel all those thoughts that run thru your head while the pup is sezing, make it seem like forever.
sending calming, comforting thoughts to casey& tux, and hope you all get some rest soon
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day