****NEW RECORD****

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Tux1

Post by Tux1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:22 am

Thank you guys
I am very nervous about the heartgard or any heart worm medicine if it does end up being the cause of the siezures. Right now it is what I am looking at really hard as the cause. 28 days now with out a siezure and yesterday was a very stressful day at the house and no siezure. we had an attempted break in at our house while Vanessa and I were at work and the dogs had to deal with the alarm going off and the commotion around here during it. Luckily everything is fine and life will go on but if that didnt cause a siezure in him then It makes me think even that much more that the Heart worm medicine is to blame here. We wont be doing anything drastic like lowering his meds yet but I am waiting to see if any more episodes show up. It is odd that he would be basically a month now siezure free when he never even use to go 2 weeks. I will keep yall updated and we will see what happens.

Thank you and god bless
Tux 4 year old Border Collie (epi)
Alqa 4 y/o sister Border Collie
1st Seizure 02/18/2007
RIP Tux 01.01.10

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:24 am

It COULD be the ivermectin in the meds!!!! I have read that lots of dogs have reactions to it.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Tux1

Post by Tux1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:11 pm

33 days with no Siezures and 1 night of siezures in the last 52 days :)
Still going
1st Seizure 02/18/2007
RIP Tux 01.01.10

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:44 pm

oh Tux, thats wonderfull!
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:09 am

This is fantastic news!!

I'm so happy for you and Tux.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:31 am

I hope for once a reason has been found for triggering seizures in Tux.
Best of luck to both of you.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Tux1

Post by Tux1 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:36 am

WOW 5 weeks with out a siezure.
and just before that we struggled to ever make it to 2 weeks. I hope some of our sucess with bleed over to some of the other pups that have been struggling lately. God bless you all
1st Seizure 02/18/2007
RIP Tux 01.01.10

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:44 am

Congrats to Tux!!!!! Maybe it WAS the heartworm medication!!!!!!

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Tux1

Post by Tux1 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:01 pm

Tux is being tested for MDR1 Mulit-Drug Resistance gene that causes siezures from certain types of medicines. If he tests positive for this he will be able to be removed of all medicines and we just have to monitor what medicines he gets from here on. This is a very common Gene mutation in Border Collies some 3 out of 4 Collies have this gene that is affected by one of the ingredients in HeartGard. Any other Collie people on here that want more information on this please feel free to contact me.
I really feel in my heart that this is what together with Heartgard caused Tux to have siezures. I dont believe at this point that Tux has Epilepsy any more but we just have to wait for some results. Fingers are crossed that he is positive.

God bless everyone
1st Seizure 02/18/2007
RIP Tux 01.01.10

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm so happy for you and Tux. Wishing Tux continued success and NO MORE SEIZURES! I know Aussies, Shelties, Border Collies, and others belonging to the herding group have the same problem with Heartguard as well as some of those flea meds that are "plus" When Casey and Callie were very tiny and just starting on heartworm meds, I decided right then and there we were going to start on Interceptor, and so far (knock on wood) have not had any reactions to it, although I do believe someone from this group or the other I belong to did have a problem when their pet was given it. It is just one big guessing game and I hope Tux will be one of the lucky ones. Give him a big hug from us and Way to Go Tux!
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:43 pm

Debbie - do you think that Casey could be reacting even to the Interceptor ?
Have you tried not giving it to him for a few months to see what happens ?
I do not know anything about heartworm as we do not have it in NZ, but can they get infected in such a short time without the treatment ?
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi Jane,
Unfortunatley, we live in an area where heartworm is a very serious problem. Casey and Callie get their once a month pill on the first day of each month. As a preventative, they normally stay on the Interceptor year round or at least 10 months out of the year. Here is some information I found about heartworms:
Heartworm is a small thread-like worm which is spread by mesquitos. It can affect dogs, cats, wolves, coyotes, foxes, and some other animals, such as ferrets, sea lions, and even humans. The parasitic worm is called a "heartworm" because the parasite, in the final reproductive stage of its life cycle, resides in the heart of its host where it can live for many years and kill its host through congestive heart failure. Heartworm infestation is extremely serious for the host; infected dogs that go untreated can die and even treated dogs must go through a long period of uncomfortable treatment (sometimes requiring surgery in advanced cases to remove the worms from the right atrium). The best defense against heartworm is the use of prophylactic treatment given monthly. A course of heartworm prevention begins with a blood test to see if the parasite is present. If the dog is parasite free, a prophylactic medication can be used to prevent heartworm infection. A positive test result usually requires treatment to eradicate the worms.
Many dogs will show little or no sign of infection even after the heartworms have matured. To some degree these dogs may be described as seeming to age slightly faster than normal as the worms slowly damage the lungs, kidneys and liver. These animals usually have a light infection and live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. However, active dogs and those with heavier infections will quickly show the classic symptoms of heartworm disease. Early symptoms include a cough, especially on exercise, and early exhaustion upon exercise. More advanced cases progress to severe weight loss, fainting, coughing up blood, and, finally, congestive heart failure.
It is a very painful death if not treated, although in many cases it can be treated and cured. I don't believe the problems Casey had last week had anything to do with the Interceptor. I do however think there is a real good possibility the Zonegran which we started August 3rd is causing a lot of the problems. He has been having the partials on and off since last Wed. after the major round of grandmals. On Sat. I stopped giving him the Zonegran and by Monday he was feeling much better and slept all night. The vet felt that he was still having small partials on Sat and Sunday so the Zonegran probably wasn't the culprit and asked that I start it again. Casey has once again started having partials. I think I need to take him back off of it and give it a good week or two to really clear out of his system and see what happens then. I also changed his dry food, just on the chance something in it wasn't agreeing with him. He and Callie have been on this food for over a year, but I figured if I was going to start eliminating things, might as well get rid of the things he is eating or taking right before the partials start up and they normally start up right after he eats and has his medications. I know he and I are both very tired and I just want him to feel better. It was a good thought, but even if the heartworm medications were causing problems, I would still give it to him versus taking a chance that he come down with heartworm. Many a dog has had to be put to sleep due to it, because their owners couldn't afford the treatment, or didn't want to take the chance of having their pet possibly die going thru the treatment if the case had progressed past a "safe point" to start treatment.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:26 pm

They sound really scarey. I'm glad we do not have them here but I suppose that one day they will find their way down.
Our stupid local councils are insisting that any new houses have rain water traps located on the property and these are going to become a breeding ground for mozzies. So many people here are purchasing mozzie nets (me included) because the problem is becoming so bad, it is inevitable that we will start to get all the nasty mozzie pests.
I would say that the Zonergran would take at least a week to get out of his system. I hope you both feel better soon.
Saw Casey and Callies picture in the epi calander. I am thinking about putting KiKi's picture there.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:26 am

Debbie,

You can stretch the Heartgard and flea stuff to 45 days. Jean Dodds and also a friend's vet both have said that there was a study in France that said those meds last 45 days. The pharmaceutical companies prefer we give the meds every 30 days so they make more money and the vets promote 30 days because they worry about people forgetting to give the med in a timely fashion. I put the little stickers that come with the meds on my calendar and I stretch mine out to 40 days, just in case I forget (which I never do because as you know, I'm part of the epileptic dog, paranoid mother club like the rest of you)!!!!!

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:03 am

Lack of heartworm protection definitely worries me. I'm pretty sure it'd be a death sentence for Jackson with his other heath issues, but i'm taking the chance.

My sister found 2 stray dogs, both with heartworm, and she has nursed them back to health but it wasn't easy. Among other things, they have to stay very quiet for a long time (1-2 months?).
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08