Page 4 of 7

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:29 am
by Tux1
We will be starting the interceptor also very soon. Once we get the results back on the Genetics test. Tux has doubled his record now up to 38 days with no siezure. As long as the test proves what we feel we already Know we can rest assured that interceptor will be fine on him and we will have this problem solved once and for all.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:10 pm
by DELETED
DELETED

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:44 am
by lovemypups
I'm so glad Tux is doing better. Things are finally getting better here also. Give him a big hug from me and way to go Tux!

Jane, yes, please put Kiki's picture on the epi Calendar. They are very good quality calendars and the money goes to a wonderful cause. Take care all.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:27 pm
by Dylans Dad
yay tux, keep it up!

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:37 am
by Mandypop
Absolutely wonderful news!!!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:57 am
by Tux1
We are waiting news on Tux's DNA test. Our vet has already started taking Tux off Pb SLOWLY :) we are over 6 weeks with out a siezure now and tux has been so energitic. Hopefully we will get word from the University of Washington State about the dna test this week so we can put our thoughts to reality with this. I cant believe that this may end up being something so simple and so easy to rectify for us.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:40 pm
by skrpio
What great news. It really makes you wonder what these companies put into their so-called protective products. Have you read closely the instructions for flea treatment - not to come in contact with skin !!!!
I really hope that it was the treatment that was the cause and Tux can go on with a happy life from now on.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:29 pm
by Dylans Dad
sure hope that was it. wishing tux the best. keep us updated

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:53 pm
by Tux1
50 DAYS:

Still no results on the DNA test but today is a milestone for Tux. 50 days with out a siezure and 1 hour worth of siezures in the last 69 days. We should be getting results back very soon though and the Vet has already started to take Tux off of Pb. almost 2 weeks now on the lower dosage.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:18 am
by MK's mom
I cannot get over this!!!!! I'm so happy for you and Tux, please proceed with caution when weaning Tux off the Pb. More than one of us have experienced bad things when trying to take a dog off medication. Why is the vet being so hasty?

Vivian

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:32 am
by Tux1
Im all about taking time in taking him off the medicine What bothers us right now is that We want him off both not just one. He went from 2 pills twice a day down to 1 and a half twice a day and he has been on that now for almost 2 weeks. But we want the kbr dropped down as well and he is not wanting to do that yet. We shold be getting the DNA results back from Washington State University very soon though and that should be everything to rest. We think :)

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:04 pm
by Dylans Dad
I so hope you find there is acause. and tux is not epi.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:53 pm
by High_Voltage_Head
Yes, this is pretty amazing. The thing i don't understand is why i don't hear about this MDR1 possibility more often. I did run across an obscure article or something that mentioned it recently, but that's about it. I would think this would be one of the first things people should look into. I need to do some more reading too. I think i read that quite a few breeds can be affected by this, not just border collies.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 pm
by Tux1
www.busteralert.org is where I found the info on it. and with that site and the links on it found Washington State University to do the test for us. Simple test of just Scraping the inside of his cheek and mailing it back and $60. Worth it to me if it is it then we know and Tux will live happily ever after. I know that he will be positive for it... Why else would he all of a sudden go this long when he never did before. and you know if he tests positive we will be talking to Heartgard about this issue also.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:04 am
by MK's mom
I've been in contact with a Dr. Munana at NC College of Vet Science and she is also doing a study on the p-glycoprotein and the mutation of. I've been trying to get in on the study, but am having difficulty getting follow up responses from them. She's working with someone from WSU, I'll bet it's the vet named in the link you provided. In Munana's study, she's looking at the mutation in the p-glycoprotein of some dogs and how it causes many epi dogs to be resistent to the antiseizure meds, nothing was mentioned about ivermectin in her study though.

I hope the ivermectin is Tux's problem, that would be an easy cure for him! Ivermectin causing seizures isnt' a new find though, that has been documented as being a problem for some dogs.

Vivian