Success w/ pb, KBr. Also KBr, liquid vs. capsules

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

ammoubray

Success w/ pb, KBr. Also KBr, liquid vs. capsules

Post by ammoubray » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 am

Hi, I posted this in another forum but thought it belonged here as well.
Hope is helps someone!

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:01 am Post subject: PB and KBr works for us! Also KBr liquid or capsules?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to pass on our experience with KBr and pb combo.
Our dog Rocky's seizures are being controlled by a combination of Phenobarbitol and Potassium Bromide <KBr>.

Before we got the KBr to a therapuetic level, Rocky was a dog that suffered major clusters that would last 3-5 days. He did this every 3-5 weeks. His last set of clusters was in December 2004. During this set of clusters, we added Zonegran. Within one hour his seizures ceased. He could have just been at the end of his seizures but I don't think that was the case.

We kept him on the Zonegran until his KBR levels improved, then weaned him off of the Zonegran over the course of a few weeks.

From December 2004, it was 18 months before Rocky had a seizure!! That seizure happened when we tried to lower his dosages after having such great control. The amazing thing was that he only had two seizures, and they were much milder than they used to be.

In all, Rocky has had only 5-6 seizures since Dec. 2004. This is a dog that was very close to death and our vet had little hope for him.

When we do experience a seizure, I give Rocky a leftover Zonegran and that seems to prevent clusters and the post-ictal <sp> phase is much easier on him, in my opinion. The vet is not sure if the Zonegran helps, but agrees that it's an ok treatment plan.

About one year ago we switched from capsule to liquid KBr. We have found the liquid to be 1/3 the cost of capsules, much easier on Rocky's stomach <the capsules made him sick at least once a week> and I've also noticed that his hind legs and agility have improved a decent amount. We just had his bloodwork done and his levels are where they should be.

When we did use capsules, I had to give his pb an hour before the KBr, in case he vomited and also had to feed him at least 45 minutes prior to the KBr or he would get sick almost every time. The liquid goes on his food and he's not vomited once.

Sorry to be to long-winded but I'm excited about our success and wanted to share what is working so well for us in the hopes it will help someone else and inspire them not to give up!

Just fyi, Rocky is a shepard/boxer mix.
First seizure at 9 months <Feb. 2004>
clusters of seizures continued monthly until Dec. 2004
Dec. 2004- June 2006 seizure free
June 2006 2 seizures <same day but not right together>
Sept 2006 - 2 seizures
Feb. 2008 1 seizure <1 day after getting vaccinations and bloodwork done>

Best of luck and health to everyone!
Shellie in Virginia
Serenity is not escape from the storm,
but peace amid the storm.
Anonymous

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:07 am

Wow! Thank you for your information. I will definitely keep the liquid vs. capsule info in mind as Ada is on capsules right now and her dose costs about $1 a day. (2-500 mg caps) She's only been sick a few times, but it's worth noting.

I'm very happy to hear how successful Rocky's treatment has been. It's very encouraging, especially for those who are still waiting for the Kbr to kick in. It took Ada's about 95-100 days to kick in, then we lowered her dose a little as her hind end was in terrible shape. She's doing very well now.

ammoubray

KBr: liquid vs. capsules

Post by ammoubray » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:09 am

When we switched from pills to liquid, we did notice an increase in leg weakness for a week or so. I think that's because since Rocky wasn't vomiting the KBr anymore, he got more in his system. That improved quickly though without any change in dosage.

When we used pills, it cost about $50.00 a month, including shipping. Now we pay $60.00 for a 3 month supply of liquid, including shipping.

For those waiting for KBr to kick in and reach proper therapuetic levels:
It took every bit of 4 months for the KBr to get to the proper level for Rocky. A long 4 months but soooo worth it.

Glad to help!
Shellie in VA
adajadesmom wrote:Wow! Thank you for your information. I will definitely keep the liquid vs. capsule info in mind as Ada is on capsules right now and her dose costs about $1 a day. (2-500 mg caps) She's only been sick a few times, but it's worth noting.

I'm very happy to hear how successful Rocky's treatment has been. It's very encouraging, especially for those who are still waiting for the Kbr to kick in. It took Ada's about 95-100 days to kick in, then we lowered her dose a little as her hind end was in terrible shape. She's doing very well now.
Serenity is not escape from the storm,
but peace amid the storm.
Anonymous