My chi's belly discolored.

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

remaxman

My chi's belly discolored.

Post by remaxman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Our Hailey is now almost seizure free. She was having one once a week that we knew of. As soon as she got excited we could count on her having one. After 1000's of dollars its under control. Now we have new issues. One is she stagers around sometimes like she is drunk. She is on Bromine and up to 5 mls twice a day. She has had a HUGE weight gain. Her left back leg has the trick knee and gives out on her all the time to the point she can not jump up on the bed or climb stairs. Lately we have noticed a darking on her left belly. We at first thought it was dirt. She doesnt complain if you rub the area. Is this normal or something we should be concerned with? The vet says her back leg can be fixed for around 1200 bucks....aint gonna happen.

Thanks in advance

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:59 pm

10mls / day seems an awful lot but I do not know too much about KBr. Some wil come on and advise you that is more knowledgeable or you can PM MK's mom - she will know.
Weight gain is normal and once the seizures are under control you can then do something about the weight. Staggering around is probably atxia which means the med dose is too high. You need to get the doseage checked out. Never heard of the darkening of the skin but it could be caused by the meds OD.
Is the "trick " knee a cruciate problem? If so it will need to be fixed to releive the pain but which method of doing it depends on the size of the dog. Up to 40kg? you can get the ligament sutured but above that it needs to be procedure called TPLO which is much more expensive.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I have just looked back on your previous posts and 10mls / day is HUGE for a little Chihuahua. You need to get this looked at urgently and I am sure it is the reason for the staggering and the discoloured skin.
As for the knee surgery she only needs the suturing done and that is not expensive. I would suggest you get another vet to quote you on that. In NZ that type of surgery is only about $600 for a dog larger than yours. A chihuahua does not require TPLO surgery so do not get talked into it.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:22 am

When is the last time you had the dog's KBr levels checked? My 75 lb Irish Setter was on 6 mls BID and it caused him all kinds of problems. I dont' know how your little chihuahua can walk on that kind of dosage!! She's likely in the toxic range and if you cut her back she'll probably start seizing again. KBr was wonderful for keeping the seizures under good control for my boy, but it came with a price. If you cut back slightly, such as .5 ml BID it might make a difference in her ataxia and her loopiness. make sure you clear it with your vet first though, just so he knows what differences are being made in the dosages.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:25 am

I forgot to mention the belly discoloration; I couldn't say it's the drugs causing it, I really don't know what it might be. How old is your dog? I had an irish Setter who got a discolored belly when she got older and it was from urinating, getting it on her belly and her unable to lick it off. I didn't see it at first because it was difficult for her to roll over, so when I bathed her I was reaching up under her to wash her and didn't know her skin had become discolored. Could this be what's happening to your girl or does the discoloration look subdermal?
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

debs

my chis belly discolored

Post by debs » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:39 am

What color is it? Grayish skin color may indicate a thyroid issue. Worth asking about.