Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Rose

Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid

Post by Rose » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:26 am

Hello everyone:

A little over a year ago, my English Setter began having seizures at the age of 5 1/2. The seizures were Grand Mals, but always lasted 10 seconds. The post ictal was terrible..that lasted up to 3 hours.

I had him in the vets office within an hour of that first seizure. Usual protocol..CBC, urine, etc. Everything fine.

5 1/2 weeks later, he seized again. Within 24 hours he had a second one.

An MRI did not show any brain tumor. He was diagnosed with Idiopathic Epilepsy.

To make a long story short, the seizures started coming within 1 1/2 weeks. Sometimes 3 in a 24 hour period. Still 10 seconds, but long post ictals. Had him on 2 lines of med..no help. He was ataxic, constant head tremors and leg tremors.

About 7 months later, I asked my vet to do a special blood test for his B12 and Folic Acid. This blood test does NOT show up on a regular CBC. The blood had to be sent to Texas A&M. It came back URGENT. He was extremely deficient in B12 and Folic Acid.

We immediately began subcutaneous B12 injections. We added Folic Acid supplement. His tremors stopped within 2 days. He did seize two more times in the beginning..but it has been 5 months since his last seizure.

I took him to a different neurologist..he immediately recognized my boy did not have Idiopathic Epilepsy..he said a true epileptic dog is normal between events.

I still hold my breath when he twitches at night. But my dog is back again..he can run and play and is agile and strong..with no seizures.

I had to go to 4 different vets before I found one that submitted his blood to Texas..not just a CBC. He is still on one line (sodium bromide) that the new neuro wants him to stay on until he reaches 1 year seizure free.

Most of the other vets ignored my concerns that he always had cyclical diarrea since 13 months. I used Flagyl and it seemed to help. But I believe it was only a bandaid..and he malabsorbed these critical B vitamins. I also believe had I known about Texas A&M when he was 13 months old, he never would have seized.

His stools have also become solid and normal. We also have him on Viokase which is added to his gluten free kibble in the am and pm.

Please, have your pups B12/Folic Acid checked through Texas A&M. We also recently had an outbreak of cats that began to seize..the only thing they had in common was they were all on Premium Edge cat food (made by Diamond). After testing, Diamond admitted that there were no toxins in the food, but it lacked B1..thiamine for the cats. Most of the affected cats recovered..some did not. All had siezures.

My prayers and good thoughts are with all of you.

God Bless,
Rose

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:45 am

Rose,

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully, it will help someone else's babe.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Thank you for posting this. I check Morgan's levels every 4-6 weeks and will definitely ask for it next time. Might check with Dr. Dodds and see if she can do it.
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID