GOOD NEWS ON CHARLIE!!!

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

KathyC

GOOD NEWS ON CHARLIE!!!

Post by KathyC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:00 am

Especially for all of you who have been so kind to me the past few weeks - and especially last weekend I have good news to report! After least weekend and early last week, I truly thought I would lose him this week. Well on Wednesday we had yet another drug Topiramate..I think they call it Topamax. On top of the KBR, Pheno, Zonisamide.....shout to the heavens he hasn't had one seizure since Thursday!!!! It's been more than amazing, especially when I didn't even think he'd be alive today. I was to the point where he was getting rectal valium sometimes up to 2 times a day ... and within a day of the new stuff it stopped. Every blue moon he'll give me that wide eyed daze but that's it. ! I'm hoping this isnt a lucky glitch and that we have finally found the right combination. He is a little more high strung than normal but I'll take that!....then on top of all that he has a skin infection....so now on antibiotics and prednisone for a few days. So it was either the new medicine or he actually listened to the talking to I gave him telling him I'm just not ready and he needs to rally for me!
Charlie - Aussie/Husky mix
Rescued February 2003
First Seizure March 2008
KBR 1ml 2xday
Zonisamide 3 -100mg 2xday
Phenobarbital 2-64.8 mg 2xday
rectal valium for clusters

Apache

Re: GOOD NEWS ON CHARLIE!!!

Post by Apache » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:02 am

KathyC wrote:Especially for all of you who have been so kind to me the past few weeks - and especially last weekend I have good news to report! After least weekend and early last week, I truly thought I would lose him this week. Well on Wednesday we had yet another drug Topiramate..I think they call it Topamax. On top of the KBR, Pheno, Zonisamide.....shout to the heavens he hasn't had one seizure since Thursday!!!! It's been more than amazing, especially when I didn't even think he'd be alive today. I was to the point where he was getting rectal valium sometimes up to 2 times a day ... and within a day of the new stuff it stopped. Every blue moon he'll give me that wide eyed daze but that's it. ! I'm hoping this isnt a lucky glitch and that we have finally found the right combination. He is a little more high strung than normal but I'll take that!....then on top of all that he has a skin infection....so now on antibiotics and prednisone for a few days. So it was either the new medicine or he actually listened to the talking to I gave him telling him I'm just not ready and he needs to rally for me!
Ha! Ha! Perhaps it was a little bit of both. That's great to hear, Kathy. Both for you and Charlie. Let's hope he continues on an upswing!

Brian

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Wonderful news!!!! I'm so happy for you and my wish is that Charlie continues his seizure free streak!!!

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:46 pm

Love to hear some good news once in a while!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 am

I'm so glad that Charlie is doing so much better! I hope you've seen the last of those focal seizures for a really long time!

Linda

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:49 am

Yay!!! Great news!!!

KathyC

Post by KathyC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:45 am

Peace was short=lived, got my hopes up too high. 5 days of peace, but then they began again last night and had to give valium since the focals didn't end for 15 minutes. the was woken up at 4:00 a.m. with him trying to claw his way into corners so he must have had another while I was sleeping...........18 pills a day and it appears they're not working................at least on the plus side I had a great weekend with Charlie.
Rescued February 2003
First Seizure March 2008
KBR 1ml 2xday

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 am

Hi Kathy,
I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough night. We did too so you aren't alone. Jake had a Grand Mal around 9:30 pm and I slept through the follow up dose of Vallium that I usually give him 6 hrs after a seizure and he had a 10 minute focal seizure. I guess whether it stands to reason according to all of the trials that have been done or not Jake definitely needs to be on a specific regimen of meds or he wouldn't stop seizing. He's resting now which is that's important.
Kathy I hope you find what Charlie needs to get this stupid disease under control. Did your vet say anything about an extra dose of Pb when he seizes?
My best to you.

Linda

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:26 am

I know all of our stories and experiences are anecdotal and that no 2 dogs are alike, but please know that we understand your feelings.

For what it's worth, Trinity's first year of seizures were extremely difficult to control. Our neurologist was quite liberal with using medication at doses higher than normal. Trinity was approx. 40 lbs. She took 95 mg of PB in the AM and 142 mg at night. She also took 3 ml KBR in the AM & PM. It took many months before the meds seemed to help and then suddenly, they did!

Have faith in yourself to make the right choices for your dog. You WILL make the right choices and your caring makes all the differences.

Apache

Post by Apache » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Sorry to hear about Charlie's setback. You just never know with this disease when it'll strike. Try and look at this as a glitch in the road, as hard as that may be right now.

As has been pointed out, finding the right combination of medications and dosages could take some time.

Not much more I can add that hasn't already been mentioned. Keep the faith.

Brian

KathyC

Post by KathyC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:49 am

No the vet has never mentioned additional Pb. My concern is I don't feel it's fair to keep him going on 18 pills and vallium and he's like a zombie.....not much of a life. Last night no seizures but other than eating, he just slept. He doesn't chase the llamas any more and basically is a "couch potato"....he's a herding dog and usually loves to chase anything that moves! he has to be fenced in after having 7 years of free reign on the farm. It's just sad. Thanks again.
Rescued February 2003
First Seizure March 2008
KBR 1ml 2xday

Apache

Post by Apache » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:24 am

Kathy,

I can tell you that an additional dose (and then some) of Pb immediately after a seizure has helped our guy. Perhaps it would do the same for Charlie. You should bring that up with your vet.

It is hard to accept seeing your normally active dog turn into a "couch potato" as you put it. Don't forget, he's on a lot of medications right now. Apache was the same when he first started taking Pb. Even today, he's not the same active dog he once was. He has good days, and some so-so days, but he's a heck of a lot better than when he initially started taking medication. The main thing is, he's still with us. He's had to adjust, and so have we. It's still very much an ongoing process with us right now, but we're taking it one day at a time.

I hope your vet will take a very pro-active approach with Charlie, like our vet has with Apache. In fact, she called us last night just out of the blue to find out how things were going. We learned that Apache is her first ever Epileptic case, and since we'll be starting him on Keppra (hopefully in a couple of weeks), she wants us to call her every week to let her know how things are going. This, we really appreciate. Again, hopefully your vet digs deep with Charlie.

Good luck, and I wish you a lot of patience.

Brian

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Our experience with medication was very much as Brian described theirs to be. Over time, Trinity acclimated to her medications. No, she never was exactly the same. She played, enjoyed walks and enjoyed our company but with a bit less stamina and vigor. When she first started meds or whenever she increased her med levels, I was sure she would never bounce back from the side effects. She always did.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Using an extra dose of Pb also helped my boy. I know you hate putting pills down his throat, but you have to break those clusters. This is so tough for you, all of us here understand 100%. It's a real heartbreaker dealing with refractory dogs, but we have to do, what we have to do. Youi don't have a lot of options, it's either give him more meds to break the cluster or let him continue to seize. NOT great options, but there it is. :(

I hope by now Charlie has gained some control and stopped seizing. Poor little soul, it's so damned unfair.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

KathyC

Post by KathyC » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:48 am

Well we had the one bad night, but the last two days have been great....he's actually been playing ball! :) So one out of 7 I have to say is a great success......in my book! :) I will try the extra Pb next time. (and hopefullly I won't need it!)
Rescued February 2003
First Seizure March 2008
KBR 1ml 2xday