Still good news on Charlie!

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

KathyC

Still good news on Charlie!

Post by KathyC » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:42 am

I have not posted here in a while so I wanted to catch everyone up on the good news. When I was last on, I was discussing putting Charlie to sleep. It was the hardest thing I have ever ever been through. He was up to so many seizures a day I would lose count, I was controlling it with rectal valium and my life had basically stopped because I literally needed to be with him 24/7.Many many visits to the emergency room. I wasn't sleeping, wasn't working out and missed a lot of work. This went on from July - September. But I would not give up. Charlie was on 4 - 64.8 pheno a day, potassium promide, and 6-100 mg. zonisamide. On September 22, we added as a last resort 200 mg. Topiramate because he was not responded to all the other meds. It is now December 18 and he has been SEIZURE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went on vacation to Maine Oct 2 and 3 and he had two seizures while I was gone, which I assume was stress of me being gone because it's truly been a miracle since then.
This summer I had called the vet 3 times to put him away because it just want not fair to either of us. I was not living and he was so ooooooo sick.
So there is positively hope out there for all who don't think so............Charlie began his seizures three years ago and had approxiately 4-6 a month until the daily seizures began. Life is awesome and I have my old dog back! Other than the tons of weight he's gained, he's back completely to his old personality of three years ago, playing, being a mush and just begin my best friend ever!
Thanks for all of your support during all the rocky roads and now through the good times!
xxoo
Kathy
Charlie - Aussie/Husky mix
Rescued February 2003
First Seizure March 2008
KBR 1ml 2xday
Zonisamide 3 -100mg 2xday
Phenobarbital 2-64.8 mg 2xday
rectal valium for clusters

richmauer

Re: Still good news on Charlie!

Post by richmauer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:02 pm

:D
Kathy
You made my month!!! What great news. Perseverance is the key. Never give up.
So happy for you & Charlie! Very little has been mentioned on the boards about Topiramate. I wish I had know about it, I'd have given it a try.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Apache

Post by Apache » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:40 pm

That's great news, Kathy! It is indeed, very difficult at the beginning. Sometimes the seizures can be controlled quite quickly, and other times, not. The main thing is, is to never give up. Yea for Charlie!

Rich, I looked up Topiramate a while back. It's just as costly as Keppra apparently, but harsher on the liver. It did get good reviews, though, and it certainly seems to be working for Charlie.

Now, let's lengthen that seizure-free streak!

Brian

KathyC

Post by KathyC » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:43 am

Brian, Rich....I get the Topiramate through Costco for $32.49 for a two month supply. Charlie is on 2 a day (plus everything else!!!).
there's a huge difference in price with Costco and other pharmacies. for example I ran out of Zomisamide (he takes 6 of those a day) so I had to get an 'emergency" supply from Stop and Shop and it was $62.24 for a 16-day supply. For a 40 day supply from Costco is was $61.11. I never priced out Kepra so not sure the difference.
Kathy
Rescued February 2003
First Seizure March 2008
KBR 1ml 2xday

Apache

Post by Apache » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Kathy,

Wow, that is far cheaper than what I was able to find, but things are different here in Canada. In fact, generic brand Keppra is NOT sold here, but is available for residents outside the country,...or so I have been told.

We priced Keppra through our Costco here and it came to roughly $382. for 120 pills. So, you're definitely getting a great price on the Topiramate.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Brian

KathyC

Post by KathyC » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi Brian, I was told the price of Keppra has dropped alot...I live in Massachusetts and I was told I was better off getting it in Canada if I went that route. but thank goodess for now the Topomax is a dream come true!
Good luck.
kathy
Rescued February 2003
First Seizure March 2008
KBR 1ml 2xday

msommar

Post by msommar » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Hope Charlie is still doing well!

I would definately recommend Costco for prescriptioins. Conor is taking Gabapetin and at CVS it was going to cost $250 a month. At Costco we are getting it from anywhere between $25 and $35 depending on which generic company they are going with at the time. And you don't even need to be a member.
Conor's Mom
Conor - 9 year old Golden Retriever
Has been having seizures for 4 years