Lucy is 32 days seizure free....

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Mike_H

Lucy is 32 days seizure free....

Post by Mike_H » Mon May 23, 2011 11:25 am

Just wanted to note here that my dog Lucy is 32 days seizure free. You can find various posts around here where I detailed my story. It has been a long time coming, but we've finally made some good progress. The winning combination so far is 500MG Zonisamide + 750MG KBr. KBr given once daily and zonisamide given twice. Lucy definitly experienced some side effects when we added the KBr, BUT, these do SLOWLY go away over time. She is about 85% her normal self right now and continues to improve every day. I think it is important to keep dogs on these drugs active too. Before the addition of the KBr, Lucy's seizures were only "slightly" controlled (if at all) by the Zonisamide alone occuring at a frequency of about one every 2 weeks. If Lucy continues to improve over the next few months, I will be attempting to slowly decrease the zonisamide level per my vets instructions. KBr does take a LONG time to take effect, but so far, I highly recommend it. After battling this for about 6 months and about (15+ siezures), I never thought i'd get to post in the "success stories" forum. For those new to this, take everyones advice and realize that this stuff takes time and is not an exact science.

Mike

Apache

Re: Lucy is 32 days seizure free....

Post by Apache » Mon May 23, 2011 12:03 pm

All right, Mike! I'm very happy for both you, and Lucy! May the streak go on forever!

Good advice on just how long some of these medications take before the full impact is shown. Continued success!

Brian

Mike_H

Post by Mike_H » Fri May 27, 2011 3:02 pm

In following the continual pattern of everyone else struggling with this disease, I have to report that Lucy broke her 35 day streak last night. Oh well, time to start over. It was rather unusual circumstances as this was our first night in a new house AND I was little drunk and I only gave her the zonisamide and forgot the KBr. It is the KBr that we believe Lucy is really responding to. My thinking though is that this is just a coincidence. She had the seizure only "5 hours" after the missed dose of KBr. I am under the impression that KBr is really not that time dependant and this was probably just coincidence. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Could the seizure possibly have been caused by just the missed dose of KBr??

Orli

Post by Orli » Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Do not beat yourself up over it Mike. I do not know anything about KBr and its reaction/working time, but it is quite possible that being in a new home that triggered Lucy's seizure. As for being just a little - ahem - woozy, well you gave her the zonisamide so you could not have been that - ahem - sozzled. Otherwise you would have forgotten that as well.

I really do not know if five hours would make a difference. But I do know that Pereg, who is only on Pb, has missed an occasional dose - not because I have forgotten it but because somehow she has flicked it out without swallowing it and without me noticing.

Either the seizure was caused because of the missed dose of KBr or it was not. And there is absolutely no way of really knowing. Pereg is on a Grand Mal seizure-free streak at the moment, only having occasional complex partial seizures, but if she has another major one tonight or tomorrow then I will have to accept it. She has to live with the seizures and I have to cope with them.

Please do not blame yourself because Lucy's seizure could have just been one of those things that we have no control over.

With comfort

Orli
The love I have for Pereg
And the love she has for me
Keep me going

Life without her would be easier
But then
It would be
So boring