Riku Made it 43 Days

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Mirrorakay

Riku Made it 43 Days

Post by Mirrorakay » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Riku and I are still relatively new to all of this, but I feel I have to celebrate even the slightest achievements. Before starting his phenobarbital regimine, he was having siezures about ever 21-22 days, only breaking pattern if he went to the vet as travelling outside of the house triggered siezures.

With his phenobarbital Riku made it 43 days plus two vet visits completely siezure free! Unfortunately the sneaky little guy managed to cheek his evening pill and thus had a siezure (not witnessed but all of the signs are there), breaking his wonderful streak. As awful as it is, I'm trying to look at it as a lesson on just how vital his medication is to keeping the beast at bay.

We're starting our count again and looking forward to another successful, siezure-free stretch!
Riku's Mom
First seizure: 5/13/11
Last seizure: 9/22/11

seebr5640

Re: Riku Made it 43 Days

Post by seebr5640 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Yay for Riku! I hope he continues to be seizure free longer this time around after making sure he does not get the Pb stuck in his cheek again! :)

Barb & epi-Sampson

Mirrorakay

Post by Mirrorakay » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Thank you for the well wishes!
Riku's Mom

Cuillin

Post by Cuillin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 pm

WELL DONE, Riku - it's so lovely to read a succcess story! :D

I had to smile at Barb's comment about not getting the pill stuck in his cheek again - if you win that particular battle I want to know how you've done it! I can wrap Cuillin's pills in food, I can watch him swallow and take a drink, I can check his cheeks - and STILL I can find the odd remainder of a pill on his blanket or on the floor!

Good luck, Riku - hope the progress continues.

Mirrorakay

Post by Mirrorakay » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Riku is still doing great. He's had no seizures since the one he had the day I posted here. He's also taken every pill since then with no trouble :lol:

With Riku, he's been taking a number of pills and medications since I got him. He's had very few breaks when he hasn't taken medicine so it was something he's been trained to handle really well. I have a "pill-rug" for him. Our routine is, I grab the pill, we walk over to his pill-rug, and I have him sit. Then I walked behind him and put the pill down his throat. I typically don't even have to hold his mouth shut since he swallows it almost instantly. After taking his pill he gets a treat. So the pill isn't a treat, but the behavior of taking a pill is what gets rewarded. I just make sure we always do it in the same place, I do and say the exact same things, and I reward him after I make sure he's taken his pill. It only took a month or so of medication to get this routine down and it has really paid off.

I taught him this when he was 8 months old and we're still holding true to it now that he is 6 years old.
Riku's Mom

Mirrorakay

Post by Mirrorakay » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:46 am

How strange-- the day I reply to tell everyone he is doing fine, he has another grand mal. However, he has recovered quickly and aside from waking me up at 3 in the morning, we're no worse for the wear. Time to start counting days again.
Riku's Mom

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Aw! I'm so sorry to hear that Riku had another seizure. I hate the way they sneak up on you, especially when it has been awhile since the last seizure. I wish there was a magic answer...

I'm glad he recovered quickly.

Barb & epi-Sampson
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 250 mg AM/300 mg PM
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

mtbkel

Post by mtbkel » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:59 am

You should try the pills in pill pockets. They are expensive, but I buy the large sized ones and can make one pocket last ( break them apart) for at least all 6 pills she needs in one day. They stick to the pills great. I never have to force any pills down. Well, thanks to Pb she will eat most anything, including dirt! I just think they are super handy and wished I had invented them. Soft cheese like Velveta works good too, but is more of a hassle (in and out of fridge to obtain it)