Oakley went 9 weeks seizure free

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

21xracing

Oakley went 9 weeks seizure free

Post by 21xracing » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:01 pm

So I have been reading on this site frequently, but until today I have never posted. Oakley is almost 4 now and has had epilepsy for 2 years now. He recently was experencing longer seizures lasting almost an hour in and out. 9 Weeks ago we decided to change his food to Wellness Core and we are happy to say that he took to the food quickly and we saw a huge difference in him. Yesterday was his first seizure in 9 weeks. Yesterday was the first time that we had administered the Valium during the seizure and this worked great the seizure from start to finish was less than 4 minutes. He has never had a seizure for less than 5 minutes. He took to the Valium quickly. He is also on Keppra 500mg 3x day and Potassium Bromide 3cc once a day. He has been on the Keppra since April.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us. I should have said Oakley is a Black Lab mixed with Springer. I think we are on the right path but just looking for suggestions.

Thank You

Keppra 500mg 3xday
Potassium Bromide 3cc 1xday

seebr5640

Re: Oakley went 9 weeks seizure free

Post by seebr5640 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:10 am

21xracing,

Great news! I'm glad Oakley's last seizure was only 5 minutes compared to almost an hour. When he had the almost an hour long seizures, did you take him to the ER vet? I've heard the longer the seizure that it could possibly cause brain damage.

Which Wellness Core food did you switch to? I feed Sampson Wellness Core Reduce Fat.

Have you tried the ice pack. I do it all the time on Sampson. The ice pack has helped stop the seizure or reduce the seizure and reduce the post-ical stage as well. Grab the ice as soon as you see Oakley starting to go into a seizure. You will be amazed. My vet had never heard of it so I had to do some internet searching to find out more about it which I have copied below. Feel free to ask your vet about it. And don't give up. The ice pack treatment has worked for me a majority of the time. I can only remember one time that it seemed to not have helped. It could've been that I didn't do it soon enough or didn't apply the ice on the right spot of the back.

Stages of a Seizure
A seizure has 4 basic Stage.

1. Prodome: The prodome may precede the actual seizure by hours or days. Characterized by a change in mood or behavior. Human epileptics experience mood changes, headaches, insomnia or feelings about the impending seizure. It is not known whether animals experience a prodome except for any behavioral changes observed by their owners.

2. Aura: This stage signals the start of the seizure. In dogs, restlessness, wandering, pacing, lip licking, hiding, wandering, trembling, vomiting, vocalization, whining, facial twitching, or snapping at imaginary flies may occur.

3. Ictus: The ictus is the actual seizure, characterized by sudden uncontrolled movement and thrashing. During this stage the dog is unconscious. Any vocalization is not due to pain. This is the period when dogs often void their urine and bowels. Paddling or swimming movements, clenched teeth, and arched back are common during this stage, and generally lasts for 30 seconds to 3 minutes. At the end of this stage your dog may vomit.

4. Postictus: This is the recovery stage. For minutes to days after the seizure your dog can present behavior changes such as disoriented, dazed, confused, restless, unresponsive, wander, or suffer from transient blindness. Dogs are exhausted and sleep a lot. At this stage your dog is conscious but not entirely functional and may have a blank expression or appear to stare into space.

During the aura stage you may be able to prevent a seizure by placing a cold pack on the small of a dog's back. The cold pack technique was tested both in an Emergency Room and a regular veterinary hospital as well as by people in their own homes, on 51 epileptic dogs. In all 51 cases, the technique either stopped or shortened the usual duration of the seizure, and in many cases, the postictus recovery time was also shortened.

The best part of the cold pack technique is not in any way harmful to your dog, and it does not involve giving extra medications. It is as simple as applying a cold pack to the lower-midsection of your dog's back, and holding the cold pack firmly in position until the seizure stops. The top of the cold pack should rest just above the middle of your dog's back, following along the spine, and drape down to the lower-midsection of the back.

Don't worry about putting the cold pack in an exact place, just aim for the middle of the back and the correct area will be covered. The article reports that the sooner the cold is applied, the better the results. So you should have the cold pack ready and prepared and remove as soon as the seizure has ended. Be careful not to cause a freezer burn.

Please keep us posted and I hope Oakley continues to have short seziures. :)

Barb & epi-Sampson
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID