Zonisamide

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Seagoinya

Zonisamide

Post by Seagoinya » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:45 pm

My chihuahua Leee Leee, who has had two severe ( lasting hours ) focal motor seizures is being treated with Zonisamide 25 MG twice a day. She has put on phenobarb in the past by her Vet but I was concerned about the side effects. I found a Vet neurologist who recommended the Zonisamide three years ago. Leee Leee has had good outcomes, no seizures and no side effects at present.

We buy the Zonisamide at Walgreens. With the Walgreens Card the medication was discounted significantly.

Katie

Re: Zonisamide

Post by Katie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi! How long has Leee Leee been on zonisamide and how long since she's had a seizure?

Katie

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Seagoinya,

Hooray for Leee Leee! This is great news. :D

I hope she continues to be seizure free for many more years to come.

I used to purchase Sampson's Zonisamide at Walgreens on the Walgreens card and have found since then that Sam's Club with membership was a lot cheaper. Of course, Sampson takes a lot more than your little one. :)

Barb & epi-Sampson
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

Lovemydogs

Post by Lovemydogs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm another who has a dog on Zonisamide-300mgs twice a day (65lb Aussie). Pheno alone was not stopping my dog's seizures and I was worried about the side effects of long term pheno usage so I am so hopeful this helps! I'd love to hear more success stories!

Now, I know this is NOT supposed to be a side effect, but my dog has SOOO much more energy as of late. I'm sure it is partly due to the cooler weather, but I have never known him to be so "up" in his five years of life. I'm hoping it just means he is feeling good!

fotyfobravo

Post by fotyfobravo » Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Seagoinya wrote:My chihuahua Leee Leee, who has had two severe ( lasting hours ) focal motor seizures is being treated with Zonisamide 25 MG twice a day. She has put on phenobarb in the past by her Vet but I was concerned about the side effects. I found a Vet neurologist who recommended the Zonisamide three years ago. Leee Leee has had good outcomes, no seizures and no side effects at present.
We buy the Zonisamide at Walgreens. With the Walgreens Card the medication was discounted significantly.

I may have overlooked it but I'm curious how much does Leee Leee weigh?

My Lucy, 12 LB Chihuahua - terrier mix was just put on 50 MG zonisamide twice a day after turning into a WILD animal on phenobarbital for her weekly seizure. The seizures stopped but she has become a basket case. We hope the change to zonisamide will halt the seizures without the ridiculous side effects.

Thanks, Fred

fotyfobravo

Post by fotyfobravo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:43 pm

....Zonisamide UPDATE .... Lucy is now OFF the phenobarbital and stable on the zonisamide. She is back to her normal laid back self. I thought she was GONE. Very pleased and I appreciate the information gained from this forum. Her obsession for food is gone and we are amazed that she has improved so quickly after reducing the phenobarbital.

:D