Goodbye my beautiful Toby

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Maysie

Goodbye my beautiful Toby

Post by Maysie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 am

Hello Friends,
It is with a very heavy heart that I write this post tonight..I said good-bye to my best mate yesterday morning :( The reason I am posting under success stories is because despite my broken heart, the last few months of Toby's life were a success and I feel so blessed that I was given this gift. I thought it might give some hope...

The last time I posted months ago, we were having a terrible time. We had just started on bromide after 3 yrs of pheno and Toby seemed miserable. The grand mals were monthly but focals were daily and the drugs seemed to have taken away his spark. His quality of life was slipping and I was afraid the time had come. We decided to play around with the doses and give him a chance. After some supportive words from this group and a lot if hope, we finally seemed to get it right - my boy was back! He began running again, wagging, jumping around like a pup at dinner times. He was happy and smiling, affectionate and content. His focals were virtually gone and he had only one grand mal seizure since August until now. I felt like we had been given another chance. I savored every single glorious minute, to see him happy made me the happiest I'd been in such a long time :)

On Monday night, Toby was galloping along at full speed with a smile on his face and his ears flapping - he was doing what he loved. unfortunately, he stumbled and fell, breaking one of his back legs. We raced to the vet where they kept him for the night to take xrays and consult with a surgeon. In my mind, the worst case scenario was that he would need surgery with some pins and plates and some months of
rehabilitation... But it was not to be. They discovered early onset of osteosarcoma, there was no way they could repair his leg. The only minor hope was amputation and chemotherapy. My big strong brave boy could handle so much, but he couldn't have handled that.

The vet assured me that as he was still running these last few months, he would not yet have been experiencing the pain from the cancer. That gave me some comfort. I took my boy home and spent one more very special day and night with him. Although immobile, he was happy and content and took great delight in all the chicken we cooked for him and endless tummy rubs.

My heart is aching right now. But I was so very very thankful that I had those last few months with him and that he wasn't in pain. He was my best friend, a gentle companion who came everywhere with me. I feel like a part of me is missing :(

But I know in time it will be easier to smile and I'll be happy that we triumphed over epilepsy, albeit only for a few months, they were the most important ones.

Thank you for all the support you have always given me here. You are wonderful people. Please hug you furry friends extra tight tonight and send a smile up to heaven for my Toby.

Rest and play happily in heaven my sweet boy - Sarah xxxx
Maysie & Toby
8.5 yo 40kg fawn greyhound
My beautiful 'pointy' heart dog :)

orangeong2

Re: Goodbye my beautiful Toby

Post by orangeong2 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Sorry to hear that. It seemed that u had a great companion with u there.
he's gonna be in good hands. God will take good care of him. =)

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue May 20, 2014 10:28 am

Sarah,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. It was good to know that you were able to have some wonderful moments with him and watch him just be a dog and revel in that. I know how hard the decision is and commend you for being unselfish and I'm sure Toby would thank you for your compassion and love through the years.

My heart goes out to you along with my thoughts & prayers.

Colleen
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Esmo

Post by Esmo » Tue May 20, 2014 11:34 am

I am so very sorry for your loss. I read this with tears, as this morning we also had to make the decision to send one of our beloved cats "across the rainbow bridge". I am glad you had the time with your beautiful Toby. The memories will always be precious.

Esmo
Esmo and Maggie
Dachshund/Beagle Mix
Rescued 12/16/13
First seizure 1/31/13
Last seizure 9/23/14
48 mg of Phenobarbital 2x day
150 mg of Zonisamide 2x day
500 mg of LevetiracetamER (Keppra) 2x day
200 mg of Gabapentin 3x day

johnyeo90