Longest seizure free period

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

mtbkel

Longest seizure free period

Post by mtbkel » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:08 pm

Well Roxy went from Oct 8th till Dec 24th without a seizure. A new record. I enjoyed the seizure free period. Sure enough all the excitement of family around put her over the edge last night. Rough night with 2 hours of crazy behaviour after the seizure. I was worn out (so was she) but I had to work Christmas anyway at the hospital with little sleep. Nothing seems to help her much be less crazy postictal though I appreciate all the suggestions. I hope we enjoy at least that long seizure free next time. We had a med change up from 100 mg zonisamide twice daily to 150mg around Sept. That appears to be what helped. It sounds like alot of zonisamide since Roxy the boston is only 19 pounds, but the neurologist wanted to try it. We remain on 30 mg phenobarbital twice daily as well. It has been 14 months with epilepsy and it is getting better thankfully. Keep up the hope everyone. We had 4 or 5 hospitalizations, an MRI, spinal tap, and loads of tears and stress last year. Hoping for a better year in 2012 for us and all the other families affected by epilepsy.

Kelly and Roxy Gurrl, the now 8yo Boston Terrier (birthday in Dec).

SneakyPete

Re: Longest seizure free period

Post by SneakyPete » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 am

My 5 yr old Irish Setter used to have pretty bad post-ictals before. Now, its zero post ictal.....
Immediately after the attack we administer
1. Rectal Diazepam
2. Rescue Remedy
3. Feed him vanilla ice cream
4. Give him a small quantity of his regular food
5. If the seizure was very bad, give him an extra dose of Pb.

Hope this helps you.

Karthik