Shadow Has Made It 5 Weeks

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

MDMz

Shadow Has Made It 5 Weeks

Post by MDMz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:16 pm

So, since November 21st, 2011... Shadow had a total of 5 seizures. After the first I had taken her off storebought treats (firstly her newly tried Pupperoni) after the second, I took her off Old Yeller food that she had decided she liked about 3 months prior...
I started home cooking for her and they started being less frequent...
The 4th to the 5th one, was 3 weeks, and now we are at 5 weeks. I have been giving her storebought food and homemade mixed for the last couple weeks. (Nutrish Just 6.)
I make sure I give her coconut oil and sunflower seeds along with the mix and do ocular compression at night. I think I'll always do these things because I don't want to risk taking something that may be helping away.

Hoping maybe whatever it is/was was in fact just the food she was on and we can continue on seizure free. I wish you all the very best and I appreciate this site and your support more than you'll ever know.

seebr5640

Re: Shadow Has Made It 5 Weeks

Post by seebr5640 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:09 pm

MDMz,

That's hopeful! Don't give up as it looks like what changes you have made may be helping. :)

Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 250 mg TID
Denamarin QD
Taurine 500 mg BID
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

MDMz

Post by MDMz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:37 am

Shadow made it 6 1/2 weeks. She had a seizure today around 6:45am, duration and such was about the same as her others but recovery time was longer like her first one.

She's doing good now and hopefully she'll make another decent stretch.
If not, I may have to go back to straight homemade food again to see.

Always hopeful when it comes to furry family members, of mine or others.
I'll keep this updated as we go along, of course. Hopefully something will work well for her that I can pass on and help others help their family.

For now, I'm just glad she was able to get such a break to begin with.

MDMz

Post by MDMz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Well, when Shadow had made it to 6 1/2 weeks, around 4th week of that we had tried mixing in a different store-bought food with her homemade. After she had a seizure at 6 1/2 weeks she went straight back to homemade only.
She had another not quite 2 weeks after, (12 days) but now-- She is at almost 12 weeks without a seizure (Monday will be 12 weeks)
So, it seems food is her main difference between having them and not.
I still make sure I do Ocular Compression before bedtime, and I set my alarm for a few hours after we go to bed and then every hour to hour and a half after that. It makes for rough sleep, but being alert and being able to wake her up now and then, I think has helped. Anything to keep her happy and without.

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:11 pm

MDMz & Shadow,

For some reason my post didn't take. So if these ends up being a duplicate. Sorry.....

I'm glad that Shadow has been 12 weeks seizure free. I hope she is still going strong. :)

I have heard a few people say that the home cooking has helped reduced the seizures.

But why do you have to wake Shadow up every now and then through the night?

Barb & epi-Sampson (39 lb Sheltie)
Pb 48.6 BID
KBr 1.2 ml of 250 mg BID
Zonisamide 300 mg BID
Keppra (generic) 500 mg TID
Denamarin QD
Taurine 500 mg BID
Vitamins/Minerals & Vitamin B Complex w/Iron
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

“They too, are created by the same loving hand of God which Created us...It is our duty to Protect Them and to promote their well-being.”—Mother Teresa

MDMz

Post by MDMz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 am

Pretty much every time she was having a seizure it was at 3am/4am after having been asleep for awhile. So I started waking her up now and then for a bit (if she was extra active in her sleep). Seems like everything has helped so far. Today is 20 weeks without. I'm sure I know food change to homemade alone was definitely helpful both times she was eating store bought-- and apparently still is helpful for her, thank goodness.
She seems much better now, but I'll be keeping her on homefood though. No more gambling with any type of storebought. I like knowing what she's getting too. She's such a big baby- My 80lb lapdog.

I'll try to keep updated but I don't get in the computer much.

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:16 pm

MDMz & Shadow,

That's great news! Hopefully you all are back on track at keeping the seizures under control.

I love success stories. It gives the rest of us some hope! :)

Barb & Sampson

youfun

Post by youfun » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm

MDMz wrote:So, since November 21st, 2011... Shadow had a total of 5 seizures. After the first I had taken her off storebought treats (firstly her newly tried Pupperoni) after the second, I took her off Old Yeller food that she had decided she liked about 3 months prior...
I started home cooking for her and they started being less frequent...
The 4th to the 5th one, was 3 weeks, and now we are at 5 weeks. I have been giving my pet supply storebought food and homemade mixed for the last couple weeks. (Nutrish Just 6.)
I make sure I give her coconut oil and sunflower seeds along with the mix and do ocular compression at night. I think I'll always do these things because I don't want to risk taking something that may be helping away.

Hoping maybe whatever it is/was was in fact just the food she was on and we can continue on seizure free. I wish you all the very best and I appreciate this site and your support more than you'll ever know.

I am so glad that she made it. I hope she has the seisure under control now.

pieter85

Post by pieter85 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:18 am

MDMz, that's some great news, it's always good to use the same food. I wish you the best for the future!

Best regards,
Pieter