An Introduction and a success story.

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

CheekyCharlieHill

An Introduction and a success story.

Post by CheekyCharlieHill » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Hey, I'm Amelia, and it's nice that the first time I post here I can post in the 'Success stories' section. See, about 4 years ago, our Border Collie Cross German Shepherd, Charlie, had his first seizure. It was Boxing Day, and I remember it like it was last night, I guess the most horrifying moments stick with you more than the good moments. I remember him being asleep, and then it was like he was rubbing his back against the radiator, at first everyone thought he was being cute, until he crashed into the christmas tree. That was when we started screaming.

We learned from our vet that he had epilepsy, that they thought it may have been a tumour. No such tumour was ever found and we realised it was something we had to live with. Charlie was put on phenobarbitol almost straight away. Over the years, he cobtinued to have seizures, clusters and status seizures, he would have grand mal seizures, and seem okay for a few hours before havig another seizure, in the time inbetween he was never quite himself.

These seizures happened every 21- 28 days, and over the years his dosage of phenobarb went up, the vets added libromide to his pescription. Each time he dossage went up, there would be a period of maybe about 2 months when there would be no seizures, and thwn it was back, and he's slip straight back into seizures happening every 21 - 28 days. The dosage of Phenobarb kept creeping up until the doctor told us it was as high as it could go without causing damage to his kidneys. But he could still increase the dosage of libromide, again it went up and up and Charlie would quickly fall back into having seizures once a month. Sometimes the clusters would last over days. Worst of all, his temperment was starting to go south.

I think the worst part was the 'support' we got from friends and families. When our first dog died at the ripe old age of 14 (She was a Alsation) my Grandma had some advice for my 11 year old self and my 8 year old sister: 'Get over it'. I have never forgiven her for this.
For Charlie, her sound advice was to put him down, every time we mentioned his medication, or even his fits, it was the first thing she said, accompanied with 'I don't know why you spend all that money on him' or 'It's cruel.'
Friends weren't much better wih their advice and it was hurtful to hear them say those kinds of things.

In May of 2013, Charlie had a series of severe seizures over 12 hours. We discovered he had a slight heart murmur and the doctor increased his libromide to be picked up in two weeks

Charlies last seizure was in June. He's been clear of seizures since then and we've noticed that he's like a new dog, he's back to his playful self, he has a lot more energy and he seems generally more settled. (Unless mums home, then he paces and follows her around, but she's frazzled and jittery and often snappy a lot of the time.)

For college, I decided to write a project on living with an epileptic dog, just so I can record my families experiences and come to terms with it all, as I had a real problem dealing with his seizures as it terrified me to see my little man go through that.
Amelia & Charlie

Breed: German Shepherd x Border Collie
Date of First Seizure: December 26th 2009
Date of Last Seizure: December 23rd 2013

ShilohsMom

Re: An Introduction and a success story.

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I am so happy for you and Charlie. It's wonderful that he's been seizure free so long. I hope it continues for many more months.

I'm sorry that friends and relatives are so cruel. Honestly, I feel sorry for them. I feel sorry that they don't know what it is to experience the unconditional love of a hairy child. What joy they are missing out on, even when our hairy one is not well, they still bring us joy and love like no one else can.

Wish you all the best on your writing project. I suspect it may be very therapeutic for you as well.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

moina

Post by moina » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:51 am

I'm glad to know that your dog Charlie was able to recover. I hope that he will experience seizure anymore.
Don't mind about what your friend said. Maybe they don't yet experience to be attach with dogs.

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 pm

I love to hear stories about long stretches of seizure free times! We all do and I'm so glad to hear that you and Charlie are doing so well. It gives the rest of us hope :) I also think it is wonderful for you to write about living with an epileptic dog as it is not an easy road, but still gratifying and wonderful nonetheless when you have good days. Epilepsy in general needs to be brought to the forefront in this world. It is not something anyone "talks" about whether human or canine until it happens to you and then you realize how debilitating it can be. I have a cousin with epilepsy and am amazed at how her mother deals with it. I have breakdowns over my baby Winston when he has a bad spell.

It is hard when you do not have support from friends and family, but there are always those people who look at animals like they do a pair of shoes. Some people do not experience the bond or love of an animal and they are the ones who are losing in life. I love animals in general. Cats, dogs, raccoons, squirrels, birds, etc. I have given up eating meat, even though I still give it to my babies and I have family and friends who mock me for that. Be your own person, write your story because we all need to hear it, and always stay true to yourself and Charlie :). Wishing you the best.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

CheekyCharlieHill

Post by CheekyCharlieHill » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:53 am

Sadly, Charlie had another seizure shortly before Christmas this year.
our vets aim was to get him down to around 2 or 3 seizures a year, hopefully he won't fall back into his once a month pattern.
Amelia & Charlie

Breed: German Shepherd x Border Collie
Date of First Seizure: December 26th 2009
Date of Last Seizure: December 23rd 2013

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:59 am

Good morning! Hope Charlie is doing well. Once a month is not so bad, albeit still upsetting and I would love to see Winston have 2 - 3 seizures a year but we are way past that. Luckily, his seizures have been less frequent and less severe lately. My vet strives for one a month, so if we go anywhere near that, I consider it a success. Of course, that could stop any day now, but I am thankful he is not as bad as others. Keep us posted on Charlie and keep your sprits up for your pup.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed