45 Days!

Share your good news!

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

cforecatsmeow

Re: 45 Days!

Post by cforecatsmeow » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:35 am

We have to take our victories where we can get them and I am too grateful that status has not been a part of the picture for us yet either. I still cry after Winston has a seizure but do not do it in front of him anymore. I just can't shake that even after this long and then I too have days of anxiety and depression waiting to see what happens. It's tough. I broke down at the pharmacy when they came out asking how he was and I told them he had a seizure that day and then they all stood there not knowing what to do :) Then I have to reassure them that we are still having better luck then a lot of others and I just hate seeing those damned things. Bonus - it was the first time I have ever managed to capture all of his shooting pee in a towel so that part was thrilling :lol:

As for having seizures while awake, I think we discussed that before. Winston always had seizures while sleeping/resting until he started Keppra. Now they always happen during the day while he is wide awake, standing next to me even. This last one started because I was holding a fingernail polish bottle in my hand and he looked at it and growled and I knew it was coming (he never growls at me) and it did literally within seconds so I think it's the drugs and not really a progression of the disease per se, but again, who knows!!!!!

Hope you are getting some rest and things are calming down for you guys. Keep us posted on how it's going.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

Eley's Mom

Post by Eley's Mom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 pm

I don't think it's something a lot of people understand. Heck, going through this everyday, I still don't understand it. It's such an emotional rollercoaster..
I hate the unpredictability!! When people ask me why I haven't put her down, I have to always defend my position that the good days severely outnumber the bad days. People ask me why the meds haven't stopped the seizures yet and I have to remind them that this is a process.

Regardless of how terrible it is to see the seizures, I feel so thankful that our journey is not as bad as it could be!!

On a side note, I know the feeling of excitement to catch all the pee in a towel too :) Since Eley is a little girl, at least there is not much shooting. lol
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
DOB: 11/12/09
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16
Phenobarbital 48.6mg (morning), 56.7mg p.m. (night)
3 mL Potasium Bromide, once daily
Clorazepate as needed after seizures

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Boy I hear ya on other peoples comments and feeling like I have to defend or justify myself. How sad for them that they don't know what that type of love feels like.

Sadly, I have never been able to catch all the pee, but I have something to aspire too! With Shilohs coat he's bound to get some in it and my goal is to keep it off the ceiling :D The worst part? When he gets up and the first thing he does is shake! UGH!!!! It's so gross to have spit and pee flying everywhere, I try to block it, but lost count of how many times he's flung it on me. Hopefully my house will never be a crime scene that requires black light. No telling what they would think of me.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Eley's Mom

Post by Eley's Mom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Oh yes, the grossness of the shake after the seizure...ugh...warm spit everywhere!! I started keeping towels around the house, but sometimes it just happens too quickly to catch all the pee :(
I know the mess of having a fairly small dog. Eley is only 20lbs. I couldn't imagine the mess of a large dog or the post-ictal pacing and anxiety.

lol, keeping it off the ceiling...you crack me up! :lol:

The first time someone came out and asked me why I haven't put her down I was pretty shocked. She's on meds and we're at a cluster, maybe 2 in a month. She's not experiencing any neurological effects...why put down a happy, bouncing, loving dog that happens to have seizures from time to time.
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
DOB: 11/12/09
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16
Phenobarbital 48.6mg (morning), 56.7mg p.m. (night)
3 mL Potasium Bromide, once daily
Clorazepate as needed after seizures

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Shiloh is a big hairy beast at 70 pounds and I swear, I don't know HOW he does it, but he's had a seizure right after going to the bathroom so you'd THINK his bladder would be empty. But NOOOOOOOOOO, he has a reserve. I think that maybe he's like a pickup truck with 2 gas tanks.

I have people ask me also about why I don't put him to sleep. If I tell people all the stuff we'd been through and how much money this disease sucks out of my wallet, a lot of times I hear how they just wouldn't spend that kind of money. I don't get it, I adopted all my dogs for their life, not until they became too difficult, an inconvenience or expensive. It's a shame they don't see our gift the way we do, cause there's nothing better than the unconditional love of a dog. Even with all of Shiloh's issues, I have never regretted my decision to adopt him. Don't tell him though, I've told him I'm going to trade him for a bag of shrimp!

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:33 am

Well, Winston had a seizure at 2:30 a.m. on Sunday morning and it's the first time I've seen a nighttime seizure in awhile so again there is just no predictability. So far, it seems isolated although he only made it 21 days this time. I still consider isolated seizures a success, though yesterday we were both doing the zombie dance instead of the Snoopy dance :) I did not get all the pee this time either and my couch was covered in the lovely seizure slobber even though the waterproof mattress pads have been a Godsend. Hope you all are doing well. We're just riding the dreadful wave and hoping for no new seizures.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm so sorry that Winston has seized and hoping that it was an isolated incident. Success is definitely all relative, but I'm like you, one (or even 2-3) is a success when you've had to deal with a bunch of clusters. Oh what would we do without waterproof pads? With summer I can at least put them outside to dry. They take forever in the dryer.

Prayers for Winston and you.

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks Colleen! Those waterproof pads do not dry easy at ALL. Winston has been okay but was very weird this morning and doing weird things with his mouth and rolling his tongue. I literally stood there an extra 15 minutes before going to work just waiting for him to start the zombie chomp but he didn't. I did give an extra 1/2 Keppra and a Valium just in case so keeping paws crossed as always. I so hate coming to work when he's like that, but I do have a neighbor that looks in on him so that gives me some comfort. I just hope it doesn't lead to more as you know but it has been a couple of days since the last one so we'll see. Ugh.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Sometimes Shiloh does weird stuff too that makes me think he's gearing up for the Elvis snarl, but doesn't make it that far, or he'll just have a weird look on his face.

Yeah, one advantage to summer is putting those pads outside to dry. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Hoping that Winston has done while you've been at work. I know how nerve-wracking that can be and how antsy you must be today.

Prayers for a wonderful night for everyone!